Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Rebel aileron controls

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
allsure

Rebel aileron controls

Post by allsure » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:55 pm

G'day

It must be that as I am in Australia

I have trouble with the adjustment of the aileron push pull tubes that go from the mixer horn to the control horn.

No matter what I do it seems to me that the aileron push pull tubes are too long.

I have made one at 28" and one at 28 1/4", (that is the length of the tube, not the overall length), but they appear to be about one and a half inches too long. Have I misread the manual and am I missing something?

I would really appreciate some practical information as to how to adjust them. Maybe some one could run a tape measure over their tubes and let me know what length they have.

Also where does the longer pushrod go. To the left or right aileron?

Thanks and regards

Ian Donaldson

Rick Harper

Rebel aileron controls

Post by Rick Harper » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:55 pm

G'day Ian ;

Rick here up in Sydney.

I'm pretty sure that I had to cut about 1 1/2 " off the flaperon (aileron) push pull tubes from the
bellcrank up to the torque tube horns as well !......just didn't make sense to me the length they were.

A quick heads up for ALL builders :

I just started taxiing the Rebel for the first time yesterday...and the wheels were WAY out of true
(to say the least !)
The back of the callipers were graunching (now there's a word for you :-)...on the short spacer that holds the discs about 1" off the wheel rim.....and the brake pedals were literally pumping in and out
with each wheel revolution which together witht the sound (and feel) of metal on metal really
made the hairs on my neck stand up.

After making up a drive system for the lathe to hold the wheels via the bearings...to my horror, the
runout on the discs were about 40 thou !!!
Pulled the whole lot to pieces and found that the two outside wheel "rims" were turned true...but
the milling that had been done to accept the extruded centre section (which is the same extrusion for the disc spacer) were out to buggery !...someone didn't seat them down properly in the milling bed when they machined them...and all 4 were out !

Even after truing the rims and assembling the wheels again, I found that there was still an unacceptable amount of runout in the discs (thought they were heaps better)...so I machined the discs true to the wheel rims while I had 'em all mounted up in the lathe as well.

I get my final inspection this coming Friday !!!......YAY !
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Monday, 16 April 2001 21:36
Subject: Rebel aileron controls

G'day

I have trouble with the adjustment of the aileron push pull tubes that go from the mixer horn to the control horn.

No matter what I do it seems to me that the aileron push pull tubes are too long.

I have made one at 28" and one at 28 1/4", (that is the length of the tube, not the overall length), but they appear to be about one and a half inches too long. Have I misread the manual and am I missing something?

I would really appreciate some practical information as to how to adjust them. Maybe some one could run a tape measure over their tubes and let me know what length they have.

Thanks and regards

Ian Donaldson

Wayne G. O'Shea

Rebel aileron controls

Post by Wayne G. O'Shea » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Ian, here's three different sets of numbers. These are total length from rod end bolt, to rod end bolt centerlines. The longer push pull is the mixer's rear one that hooks to the RIGHT flaperons torque tube horn. Shorter is better, in this case, as it will give a little more clearance from the rear wing attach "Carrythrough" to run extra reflex position while still allowing left right movement of controls.

1/ 30 1/8" and 29 7/8"

2/ 29 1/2" and 29 1/4"

3/ 30 1/4" and 30"

I find that the tube length is usually about 3 inches shorter than the overall length that you need!

Have fun,
Wayne G. O'Shea
www.irishfield.on.ca
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Monday, April 16, 2001 7:36 AM
Subject: Rebel aileron controls

G'day

Thanks and regards

Ian Donaldson

allsure

Rebel aileron controls

Post by allsure » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:55 pm

G'day Wayne

Thanks for your effort in getting the information for me. I appreciate your help.

I assume that the three sets of measurements you have given me have come off three seperate aircraft. As these measurements are all different, it appears that I am not the only one that has had problems with instructions in the manual!

I am about to go to my shed and see just what I can work out. I will keep in mind your thoughts about keeping the rods a little them shorter rather than longer.

Thanks again

Ian Donaldson