Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

wing tip wirring

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
carol51

wing tip wirring

Post by carol51 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 pm

----- Original Message ----- From: carol51 (carol51@attcanada.ca)
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com.Sales.Department (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com.Sales.Department)
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 10:01 PM
Subject: wing tip wirring

Hello from Calgary

I drilled holes in the tip ribs and installed rubber grommets to pull my wires for wing tip lights through. Is this looking for trouble. Should I run aluminum tube or plastic hose to feed my wire through. The wire will run down the strut, not straight through to the fuselodge.

All comments will be appreciated,

REBEL 505

AGT

wing tip wirring

Post by AGT » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 pm

I did mine the same way. How come everyone is running the wires down the wing strut? Is there a problem with exitting at the root rib and entering the cabin there? Is there an advantage to going down the strut?

Mike
-----Original Message-----
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of carol51
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2001 8:06 PM
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com
Subject: Fw: wing tip wirring

To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com.Sales.Department (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com.Sales.Department)

Hello from Calgary

I drilled holes in the tip ribs and installed rubber grommets to pull my wires for wing tip lights through. Is this looking for trouble. Should I run aluminum tube or plastic hose to feed my wire through. The wire will run down the strut, not straight through to the fuselodge.

REBEL 505

Wayne G. O'Shea

wing tip wirring

Post by Wayne G. O'Shea » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Mike, no reason you can't run the wires all the way to the root! In fact I prefer them that way, as trying to put the wires and pitot tube down the strut is a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned when pulling and installing wings. Doing it down the strut requires a connector at at least one end, that can be fished through the lift strut, or both ends if you can't find a connector to suit. (don't think that you will only do this once in your life time). Also requires holes to be drilled in the fuselage side, to accept the wire connector plug (or bundle) and the pitot tube line. Not a great place for extra holes, at least on the Rebel's Fus-70's!

On my Rebel I used a 12 pin connector (plug on wing end of wires and receptacle mounted in root rib of fuselage). This more than covered all the wires required for strobes (4 positions), fuel sender, landing light, taxi light, pitot heat and gnd to be sure. Wires run around behind door and under door sill in a cpvc pipe ran through the relief cutouts in the bulkheads. Then up the carrythough post to the instrument panel switches etc, or over to the strobe pack if you have mounted it in the fuselage. The wing tip mounted ones are the way to go, to get all the noise out of the cabin and they will also cut down on the number of wires to connect at the root considerable (from 4 to 1).

Regards,
Wayne G. O'Shea
www.irishfield.on.ca
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 8:48 PM
Subject: RE: wing tip wirring

I did mine the same way. How come everyone is running the wires down the wing strut? Is there a problem with exitting at the root rib and entering the cabin there? Is there an advantage to going down the strut?

Mike
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com) [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of carol51

Hello from Calgary

REBEL 505

apat

wing tip wirring

Post by apat » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Received: from smtp.interlog.com ([154.11.89.176])
by dcsol.com (wcSMTP v5.4.449.1)
with SMTP id 588339625; Fri, 02 Mar 2001 18:31:01 -0900
Received: (qmail 29095 invoked from network); 3 Mar 2001 03:30:50 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO ip55.toronto77.dialup.canada.psi.net) (154.20.71.55)
by bretweir.total.net with SMTP; 3 Mar 2001 03:30:50 -0000
X-Sender: crs1188@inforamp.net
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.2
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
To: <murphy-rebel@dcsol.com>

Hi Mike !

Yes !! There's no tidy way to get the wires from the root
down to the panel !!! It's much easier to bring them up from the
bottom of the strut, in front of the cage tubes. And this is
a particularly good route for the pitot tube, as well - much
shorter, with no sharp bends.

.....bobp

-----------------------------orig.---------------------------------------
At 04:48 PM 3/2/01 -0900, you wrote:
I did mine the same way. How come everyone is running the wires down the
wing strut? Is there a problem with exitting at the root rib and entering
the cabin there? Is there an advantage to going down the strut?

Mike
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of
carol51

To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com.Sales.Department

Hello from Calgary

I drilled holes in the tip ribs and installed rubber grommets to pull my
wires for wing tip lights through. Is this looking for trouble. Should I run
aluminum tube or plastic hose to feed my wire through. The wire will run
down the strut, not straight through to the fuselodge.

REBEL 505
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2919.6307" name=GENERATOR>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN class=731481422-02032001>I
did
mine the same way.&nbsp; How come everyone is running the wires down the wing
strut?&nbsp; Is there a problem with exitting at the root rib and entering the
cabin there?&nbsp; Is there an advantage to going down the
strut?</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN
class=731481422-02032001></SPAN></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=#0000ff face=Arial size=2><SPAN
class=731481422-02032001>Mike</SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
<DIV class=OutlookMessageHeader><FONT face="Times New Roman"
size=2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> murphy-rebel@dcsol.com
[mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]<B>On Behalf Of</B> carol51<BR><B>Sent:</B>
Monday, February 26, 2001 8:06 PM<BR><B>To:</B>
murphy-rebel@dcsol.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> Fw: wing tip
wirring<BR><BR></DIV></FONT>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
href="mailto:carol51@attcanada.ca" title=carol51@attcanada.ca>carol51</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A href="mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com.Sales.Department"
title=murphy-rebel@dcsol.com.Sales.Department>murphy-rebel@dcsol.com.Sales.D
epartment</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Monday, February 26, 2001 10:01 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> wing tip wirring</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Hello from Calgary</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>I drilled holes in the tip ribs and installed rubber
grommets to pull my wires for wing tip lights through. Is this looking for
trouble. Should I run aluminum tube or plastic hose to feed my wire through.
The wire will run down the strut, not straight through to the
fuselodge.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>All comments will be appreciated,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>REBEL 505</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

AGT

wing tip wirring

Post by AGT » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks Wayne. Your mention of grounding raises another question. I was planning to attach ground wires for the various stuff in the wing (heated pitot, various lights and stobes) right to the wing structure. I thought I'd attach to the leading edge skin, on the bottom, with a simple machine screw and nut combo of some sort. A bulkhead type fitting with a threaded post on the inside would be ideal if I can find something like that. Then I was going to use a small ground strap between the wing and the fuselage, then the usual grounding in the engine compartment. Any reason not to do that?

Mike
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of Wayne G. O'Shea
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: wing tip wirring

Mike, no reason you can't run the wires all the way to the root! In fact I prefer them that way, as trying to put the wires and pitot tube down the strut is a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned when pulling and installing wings. Doing it down the strut requires a connector at at least one end, that can be fished through the lift strut, or both ends if you can't find a connector to suit. (don't think that you will only do this once in your life time). Also requires holes to be drilled in the fuselage side, to accept the wire connector plug (or bundle) and the pitot tube line. Not a great place for extra holes, at least on the Rebel's Fus-70's!

On my Rebel I used a 12 pin connector (plug on wing end of wires and receptacle mounted in root rib of fuselage). This more than covered all the wires required for strobes (4 positions), fuel sender, landing light, taxi light, pitot heat and gnd to be sure. Wires run around behind door and under door sill in a cpvc pipe ran through the relief cutouts in the bulkheads. Then up the carrythough post to the instrument panel switches etc, or over to the strobe pack if you have mounted it in the fuselage. The wing tip mounted ones are the way to go, to get all the noise out of the cabin and they will also cut down on the number of wires to connect at the root considerable (from 4 to 1).

Regards,
Wayne G. O'Shea
www.irishfield.on.ca

Mike
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com) [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of carol51

Hello from Calgary

REBEL 505

Wayne G. O'Shea

wing tip wirring

Post by Wayne G. O'Shea » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Mike, No reason not to use an extra Gnd strap to ensure good conductivity. I did so and then realized that of course the fuselage will be grounded to the wing as soon as you put the bolts in the wing and strut attach fittings, but it's nice to give the ground a good, guaranteed, route! Any epoxy chromate or grease (and I suggest using grease to stop the aluminum on aluminum from galling as you slip things together and the bolts to stop corrosion!) on the attach fittings could prevent the fittings from carrying a good ground route.

Take care,
Wayne G. O'Shea
www.irishfield.on.ca

Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2001 5:54 PM

Thanks Wayne. Your mention of grounding raises another question. I was planning to attach ground wires for the various stuff in the wing (heated pitot, various lights and stobes) right to the wing structure. I thought I'd attach to the leading edge skin, on the bottom, with a simple machine screw and nut combo of some sort. A bulkhead type fitting with a threaded post on the inside would be ideal if I can find something like that. Then I was going to use a small ground strap between the wing and the fuselage, then the usual grounding in the engine compartment. Any reason not to do that?

Mike
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of Wayne G. O'Shea
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2001 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: wing tip wirring

Regards,
Wayne G. O'Shea
www.irishfield.on.ca

Mike

rebelair

wing tip wirring

Post by rebelair » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Hi Mike

I was concerned about cutting alot of holes in the lower corner wraps because of the compressive loads & some wrinkles I have seen in Rebels in areas not far from there so I decided to bring the wires right along the main wing & come through at the root rib. This was easy to do but the wire length will be somewhat longer. Worked out fine in the end but I may have worrying about nothing.

Brian #328R
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of AGT

Mike
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of carol51

Hello from Calgary

REBEL 505