Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

[rebel-builders] RE: External Load Carrying - Canoe on Rebel

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
steve whitenect

[rebel-builders] RE: External Load Carrying - Canoe on RebelAmphi

Post by steve whitenect » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:56 pm

Don't ever try to fly a canoe unright on the spreader bars- even if it's a plastic one like Coleman that doesn't scratch your paint. Been there, done just that and will never do it again!! 16' also presents a problem with the front just inches behind the prop and the tail just dragging in the water.

Steve W. > Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 02:00:55 -0600> From: wright.garry30@gmail.com> To: rebel-builders@dcsol.com> Subject: Re: [rebel-builders] RE: External Load Carrying - Canoe on RebelAmphi> > De Remer also says that loads of plywood must be carefully tied together > (preferably nailed or screwed) so that they cannot separate vertically, > and create enormous drag in so doing. Somewhere else I read that the > turbulence off the blunt end, if flown blunt end aft, will cause > problems with the elevator or rudder. Its not pointy end forward that is > the problem. Its blunt end aft that is the problem. On water, since the > blunt end is not normally fully immersed as it is in air, such > turbulence is not a problem. :-D> > Garry> > Dave Ricker wrote:> > Now this is just for the sake of a chuckle but it's interesting to note that the> > canoe in water doesn't travel blunt end first ;-P> > And then there's the problem of a canoe with two pointy ends......> >> > The canoe tied to the floats
like that is an eye op
e
ner but my doctor told me a> > story about building a cottage on a remote lake and flying all the lumber in on> > the spreaders of his Supercub. He mentioned in particular flying loads of plywood> > this way. I always pictured that a bit sketchy but I suppose that at the right> > angle of attack it could provide some lift!> >> > Dave> >> > Garry wrote:> >> > > >> In the book "Water Flying Concepts' by Dale De Remer on page 8-5 he> >> states 'Blunt ends of objects should be faced into the airflow, pointing> >> forward. In other words, a canoe with a transom for mounting a motor> >> must be attached with the transom facing forward.'> >>> >> Wayne has already proved the workability of this method on the Rebel.> >> Thank-you Wayne. If anyone else wants to experiment with other methods,> >> looking into the written lore would be a good direction to start in.> >>> >> Garry> >>> >> bransom@dcsol.com wrote:> >> > >>> On 10/9/2008 2:52 PM, oifa@irishfield.on.ca wrote to rebel-builders:> >>>> >>
>> >>> > >>>> Which way

does the blunt end of a steamline strut face Ben???..and the> >>>> pointy end?> >>>>> >>>> > >>> I'm not sure I buy the comparison. The strut has smooth corners on the> >>> front edge. The canoe has hard corners which would make turbulence and> >>> eddies making a larger effective frontal area and drag. It's true there> >>> would be eddies on the trailing side of a square corner thing too, but I> >>> still think the eddies and drag would be less. I'd also guess the> >>> stability would be better (yaw and pitch) with the pointy end at the front,> >>> but heck, you've already found it to be a non issue.> >>>> >>>> >>> > >>>> That was another myth I was always told... the real reason apparently is it> >>>> can't slip out thru the straps if the narrow end is at the back! lol> >>>>> >>>> > >>> Now this one, yeah, I'm with ya there!> >>>> >>>> >>> > >>>> ----- Original Message -----> >>>> From: <bransom@dcsol.com>> >>>> To: <rebel-builders@dcsol.com>> >>>> Sent: Thursday, October 09, 2008 1:
27 PM> >>>> Subject: Re
:
[rebel-builders] RE: External Load Carrying - Canoe on Rebel> >>>> Amphi> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>> > >>>>> Wayne> >>>>> Impressive that the Rebel hardly cares about that big thing on there. Why> >>>>> did you face the canoe backward instead of forward? Seems drag would be> >>>>> slightly less with that transom in the back.> >>>>>> >>>>> Anyway, it's a pretty sight and one more great thing to look forward to.> >>>>> So Thanks!!> >>>>> -Ben> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>> > >>>>>> I think a 14 'r might block too much Stabilizer air flow. It may be> >>>>>> alright> >>>>>> though. I tried Leah's 16 canoe... but it was too long period.> >>>>>>> >>>>>> As for what I have... I've been trying to buy it off my 75 year old AME> >>>>>> for> >>>>>> a few years. He finally decided he could part with it. It's 20+ years old> >>>>>> and still never seen water! It's light/aluminum and with the wide transom> >>>>>> more stable than a normal canoe.> >>>>>>> >>>>>> ----- Original Message -----> >>>>>> From: "D
rew Dalgleish" <drewjan
@
cabletv.on.ca>> >>>>>> To: <rebel-builders@dcsol.com>> >>>>>> Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 11:09 PM> >>>>>> Subject: Re: [rebel-builders] RE: External Load Carrying - Canoe on Rebel> >>>>>> Amphib> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>> > >>>>>>> At 09:53 PM 10/8/2008 -0400, you wrote:> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>> > >>>>>>>> Pictures are up in Rebel Float installations.> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> > >>>>>>> That's pretty impressive Wayne. Did you choose the sportspal for a> >>>>>>> reason> >>>>>>> or was it just something that found you? I have a 14' sportspal canoe> >>>>>>> at> >>>>>>> camp but I think I'd rather get a small kayak for fishing from.> >>>>>>> Drew> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------> >>>>>>> List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> >>>>>>> username "rebel" password "builder"> >>>>>>> Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> >>>>>>> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >>>>>>> -----------
-----------------------
-
------------------------------> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>> > >>>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------> >>>>> List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> >>>>> username "rebel" password "builder"> >>>>> Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> >>>>> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >>>>> -----------------------------------------------------------------> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>> > >>>> >>>> >>> -----------------------------------------------------------------> >>> List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> >>> username "rebel" password "builder"> >>> Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> >>> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >>> -----------------------------------------------------------------> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> > >> -----------------------------------------------------------------> >> List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> >> us
ername "rebel" password

"builder"> >> Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> >> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------> >> > >> > --> > David A. Ricker> > Fall River, Nova Scotia> > Canada> >> >> >> >> >> >> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> > username "rebel" password "builder"> > Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> > List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> >> >> >> > > > > > -----------------------------------------------------------------> List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> username "rebel" password "builder"> Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> -----------------------------------------------------------------> > >

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------