Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

100LL in Rotax 912

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Mike Davis

100LL in Rotax 912

Post by Mike Davis » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:47 pm

----- Original Message -----
To: Mike Davis
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 6:58 AM
Subject: 100LL in Rotax 912

Hi Mike,

This if for Karen regarding use of 100LL in a 912.

I am assuming she has a slipper clutch in the redrive unit. The lead will pile up in the rerive (propeller gear reduction) unit.

She can get a great answer from Mike or Rob at www.rotec.com which is a Rotax service center located in Vernon, British Columbia.

I have 600 hours on my 912 ULS (95 hp version). I have only used 100LL for about 30 hours total. Really strive to use premium motor gas (cheaper and no lead). I change the oil every 25 hours. I use a motorcycle oil when using premium auto fuel which is full synthetic. I have used Mobil 1 think it is MX4T. Hard to find and about $50 for 6 quarts. When on long trips where I know I will be burning 100LL I switch to a semisynthetic with a gear oil additive that is sold by California Power Supply. Think it is called AV-4 and has a gear oil additive for the redrive (reduction gear unit). It handles the lead that gets into the oil.

If one burns 100LL one will notice that it does start to pile up on the plugs but the main concern is what it does to the slipper clutch as the lead piles up in it. One has to have the gear reduction unit serviced at 600 hours if burning 100LL more than 30% of the time but at 800 hours if burning 100LL less than that.

I attended a 5 day course at the Rotech in Vernon, British Columbia and recommend them highly as a source of information. Great guys, super professional and extremely knowledgeable when it comes to Rotax engines.

The caveat to all of this is that the above pertains to Rotax 912's that do have a slipper clutch in the gear reduction unit.

Hope this helps.

Good luck,
Jim Wilson
Portland, OR

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------