Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Aluminum Cleaning Advice

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Richard E. Swan

Aluminum Cleaning Advice

Post by Richard E. Swan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:35 am

Builders:

I'm in need of some sage advice. I've purchased a Rebel project that I thought at first was just dirty (a 1994 vintage). As I began clean up it became quickly apparent that I was dealing with corrosion.

I'm using lots and lots of elbow grease with maroon scotch brite pads (by hand, by hand using pieces of pad on a cuticle stick to get to tight areas, self-made rotating dremel wheel of scotch brite, and an off-the shelf maroon wheel).

There is some corrosion on the bottom fuselage skins just under the cabin that I believe necessitates cutting an inspection hole under both seat areas and the corresponding areas on the bottom to have a look-see. The corrosion there is bad enough that it has scarred the aluminum in some spots, and in two places there are pin holes.

The area I need advice on is the inside 2 feet of the wing tips. I'm considering using Alumiprep (or equivalent), flushing, and then priming - but I'm leery of not being able to flush out all the phosphoric acid solution from the nooks and crannies of the internal wing ends.

Anyone care to offer some general advice, as well as the phosphoric acid usage in the internal area of the wing tips?

Thanks a lot.
Signed,
First-time inexperienced builder taken advantage of through eBay
(otherwise known as Richard)

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------