Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

[FlyRotary] Fwd: COZY: DAR Update on my LED/Strobe lights fo

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Barnhart

[FlyRotary] Fwd: COZY: DAR Update on my LED/Strobe lights fo

Post by Barnhart » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:33 pm

Begin forwarded message:

Date: December 16, 2005 10:48:39 PM EST
To: cozy_builders@mailman.qth.net
Subject: COZY: DAR Update on my LED/Strobe lights for Phase II

For all of you who have read my posts since June 05 relating to my very tough DAR on my wingtip LED/strobe lights, here is an update.

As you will recall, I have non-TSO'ed lights from gs-air.com. They are really cool, bright and uses 4 amps for two strobes and four position lights. My DAR would not sign off Phase II with those lights with the language of "Unless appropriately equipped for night or IFR flight, ..." which would allow me to make a logbook entry to fly at night. My DAR would only give me Phase II with VFR day only restriction because he interpreted the words "approved anti-collision light system" in FAR 91.205(c) to mean only approved by the Administrator. My DAR's boss in the Louisville FSDO office sent me an email saying that their position is that I must have "approved" anti-collision lights, i.e., TSO or PMA or a field approval. Since PMA does not exist for experimentals and Atlanta or any DER would not give me a field app roval, I was told that if I wanted to flight at night, all of which night equipment is required for IFR, I must have TSO'ed wingtip lights. Nat and everyone else said to ge
t another DAR, so the f
o
llowing is my report.

I have talked with EAA in Oshkosh (Joe Norris who was very helpful) and they put my in touch with a DAR in Illinois in the MIDO office, whose boss/Prinicipal Investigator (PI) is in Vadalia, OH. Vadalia is in my region or district. They told me today that although my analysis of the FARs and evidence showing that my wingtip lights meet or exceeds the airworthiness standard for approved position/anti-collision lights, that they would have issued me the above quoted language if I had originally applied for my airworthiness certificate from them, BUT that since I started out in FSDO, I am subject to their mercy as I can not escape from the FSDO office in Louisville. So, there you have it. I must change my very cool, slick LEDs for old technology which draws about 15 amps (strobes and nav lights) from Whelen as they are the only TSO'ed lights that I have found. Of course, Whelen lights are almost $900. So, the little man has lost and the moral to this story is GO TO THE NATIONAL EA
A TO GET A DAR FROM YOU
R
LOCAL MIDO OFFICE BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR AN AIRWORTHINESS CERTIFICATE, even if a local FSDO DAR was recommended to you. After my problem with my lights, need I say more. All of you guys still building (which I am after flying 25 hours--you know, still tweaking) MUST learn from my mistake. Don't get involved with the FSDO office as you will be in a world of hurt ($$$$) very fast.

Matt Bunch
Lexington, KY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message scanned for viruses by CoreComm

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------