Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

[rebel-builders] RE: [rebel-builders First Flight...has happ

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Keith Leitch

[rebel-builders] RE: [rebel-builders First Flight...has happened!

Post by Keith Leitch » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:41 pm

Congratulations Jesse!!! Always nice to hear another one is flying...maybe one day I'll get my ass in gear again and do some work on my kit.
Keith

--- On Tue, 2/15/11, Jesse Jenks <jessejenks@hotmail.com> wrote:

Subject: [rebel-builders] RE: [rebel-builders First Flight...has happened!
To: "Builders list" <rebel-builders@dcsol.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 11:14 PM

It flies really nice, just like everyone says. I did a nice wheel landing with a light crosswind, one wheel at a time. Had a wicked tailwheel shimmey when it touched down and it wouldn't stop until I was at taxi speed, so that was a bummer. Makes me glad I didn't 3 point it though. I also have a nasty oil leak to track down and my airspeed is sluggish, probably like everyone else who put static ports on the forward fuselage. I guess I will try a static mast under the wing. Does that seem to work well?
Looks like I have a few days work before I can fly again. I also have to finish the wing/fuselage fairings as I just had them duck taped on for today's flight, complete with a cardboard section around the LE/windshield. That's OK because it is supposed to rain for a few days, and I new this afternoon would be my window of opportunity, thus the duck tape and cardboard to get me airborne.
I loaded 80 pounds of wood stove pellets and had 20 gal fuel for a CG of 14.5. The handling was just great. Ken I took your advice and just used one notch for takeoff and landing. That seems very adequate for a first time in the airplane, although I think I may have actually taken off with one notch negative by mistake. My flap handle is not labeled yet and when I went to retract the flaps at about 1,000' I seem to remember pulling it back one notch to neutral. Who knows now, and it took off and climbed great either way.