Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Prop Balancing

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Legeorgen

Prop Balancing

Post by Legeorgen » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

My 0320 metal Sensenich Rebel has a noticeable vibration when it's under a take off and climb loads at full throttle or in cruise above 2400 RPM. Not real bad, but noticeable and more so than the 912ULS I have been used to flying the past several years. I think maybe I need to have the prop balanced. Maybe this is normal for an 0320? I'm not sure. I don't know anyone flying and 0320 to compare it to.

Has anyone balance a metal Sensenich and did it make a lot of difference in smoothing out the engine?

Bruce G 357R

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com

Robert Johnson

Prop Balancing

Post by Robert Johnson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Bruce, I bought a new Sensenich for my Rebel & O320 H2AD (160HP) and found it to be real smooth. Obviously a new prop is factory balanced. Was your new or used. Also I assume you checked both tracking and diameter runout to verify crankshaft flange is running true ???-Bob Rebel "652"

Wayne G. O'Shea

Prop Balancing

Post by Wayne G. O'Shea » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Another possible cause (and especially on the A & B series with rearward carbs) is an intake tube vibrating against the motor mount, with the extra torque at take off . The mount is VERY close to the intake tubes on the conical engine mount and even placement of the hose clamps on the intake rubbers is critical. I think Bruce's is a Dynafocal mounting (which shakes even more in relation to the mount) so it could be something attached to the engine making contact within the cowling, etc and not necessarily the prop that is causing the problem. Get out the flashlight and look for rubbing and any signs of clearance problems (especially the carb intake filter box hitting the sides of the opening). While your at it do like Bob suggests and check your prop tracking again.

BTW Bruce, how do you keep your 912S carbs from throwing off?? Seems to be a big problem around here!

Cheers,
Wayne
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 10:01 PM
Subject: Re: Prop Balancing

Bruce, I bought a new Sensenich for my Rebel & O320 H2AD (160HP) and found it to be real smooth. Obviously a new prop is factory balanced. Was your new or used. Also I assume you checked both tracking and diameter runout to verify crankshaft flange is running true ???-Bob Rebel "652"

Legeorgen

Prop Balancing

Bob,

This was a new prop from the factory. I did check the tracking but not the diameter run out. I will try that first. Thanks

Bruce G 357R

Legeorgen

Prop Balancing

Wayne,

Thanks for the help, I'll check all these items you mentioned.

Bruce G 367R