Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

First Flight

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Dave Ricker

First Flight

Post by Dave Ricker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Hi Ian
I am going to have to get out the atlas & brush up a bit on your end of the world! The scenic drives & wine sound like they would be enjoyable, almost sounds like the Mediteranian coast of Italy. We lived there for a few years & that is where I really got my introduction to good wines.
Thanks for the info, keep us up to date on flying that Rebel of yours too! It will be a bit more encouragement to push ahead with our project.
Dave R.
Ian Donaldson wrote:
G'day Dave I live in a city called Geelong in the state of Victoria which is about 8 hours by road from Adelaide. it is an easy drive through spectacular coastal scenery. If you don't already know, Adelaide is the wine capital of Australia. We have world famous wineries there that equal any in the world.In fact the "Jacobs Creek " brand is the most popular wine in England. If you like wines, you will love touring the Adelaide area. Rebels over here are rather scarce also. I only know of three that are flying, and they are also 1000k away! You would be most welcome to come over and play Rebels. I'm sure that you will enjoy your trip to Australia. PS flew 2 hours today ;-) ;-)
Thanks we'll keep that in mind when we get a little closer to planning time. By the way, just where are you?
Sure would be interesting to do some Rebel visit type touring since we don't have any flying Rebels in our province, in fact we have exactly 3 Rebel/Elites under construction in our parts...counting our Elite. I don't think there is a SR east of Montreal (1000km by road), in Canada at least. It would be fun to see your plane in person after hearing about the build & your recent first flight (Big congratulations!).
Cheers,
Dave R.

--
David A. Ricker P. Eng.
Fall River, Nova Scotia
Canada

Ian Donaldson

First Flight

Post by Ian Donaldson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 pm

G'day Dave

Adelaide in South Australia certainly has a Mediterranean climate and feel
about it. Without boasting, our wines are certainly the equal to and most
probably better than most Italian wines.

You would have a great time!

Get busy and finish your Rebel. I have not had this much fun in years!

Regards

Ian Donaldson

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com

Mike Kimball

First Flight

Post by Mike Kimball » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 pm

I lived in South Australia for 5 years and never came across the term "septic". Australia was great! Of course, all the time I spent upside down in my Murphy Renegade Spirit helped me enjoy Australia. And I agree with Ian about the wine. I think it was called the Borossa Valley north of Adelaide where the wine country was located. But I feel it is only proper to also mention that I've had beer from all over the world, and Australia has the best.

Mike Kimball
SR#044

-----Original Message-----
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of Mike Davis
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 10:27 AM
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com
Subject: Re: First Flight

Wow!... do they teach all that in school? Very interesting. I spent some time in Perth as a US Marine on R&R... apparently over the years our reputation has improved (this was in '89), we were very well received by all.

Thanks, Mike
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 5:35 AM

G'day Mike !

Australian language is a mixture of many cultures.....and much of the older speak was taken from the English "Cockney" ....and these guys used "rhyming slang" for just about everything...(and we ended up with a lot of them too) .....

The last word of the slang usually rhymes with the "key" word that is being mentioned, eg:

Plates of meat = FEET
Frog & toad = ROAD
Bag 'o' fruit = SUIT
Jam jar = CAR
Bristol cities = TITTIES (boobs)

Septic Tanks = YANKS ......

and there's a rhyming slang saying for just about EVERYTHING you can imagine .....(and then some !)

The term "Septic" , I think, became popular during WW2 , when we had LOTS of Americans down here on "R & R" leave .... they were described as "Septic tanks" ...(yanks) ...which these days gets shortened to just "septics"

(I think there was a fair bit of friction going on .... from what I have heard ,( WAY before my time), the American servicemen were apparently far better paid than the Ozzies at the time, and could afford to "spend more on the girls" than the locals could...which meant that the ozzie boys often went without (the girls)...which fairly pissed them off :-)

This is p....r...o....b...a...b....l...y.... where the saying came into vogue ....the locals referring to Americans septic tanks was pretty derogatory (rude) at that time
(septic tanks were common in OZ as not many communities could afford to put in storm water & sewage systems...so they put in a tank to catch all the effluent .... a "septic tank" :-)

Hope this explains all !

Rick
Sent: Saturday, May 18, 2002 12:31 PM

I'm not sure I really want to know but... whats a "septic"?

Mike
Sent: Friday, May 17, 2002 2:38 PM

G'day Bob !

Thanks for the "OK" .....and you are MORE than welcome down here !!!

Our dollar is still fetching a measly 54c against the greenback ...which is great for "septics" & "canuks" alike ! :-)

Rick & Wendy

Ian Donaldson

First Flight

Post by Ian Donaldson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:08 pm

G'day Mike

Just what were you doing in South Australia?

The term "septic" is not widely used and I think it is slightly derogatory, but always used in good spirits.

The Barossa Valley, in my opinion, is the home of Australian wines. It is hugely popular and rivals the Napa valley in California Our beer is quite good and Fosters is available in the USA (etc). It's a proper beer, not watered down like some in the States!

Isn't it nice to be able to boast that you have flown your Elite upside down down under!.

Regards

Ian Donaldson

I lived in South Australia for 5 years and never came across the term "septic". Australia was great! Of course, all the time I spent upside down in my Murphy Renegade Spirit helped me enjoy Australia. And I agree with Ian about the wine. I think it was called the Borossa Valley north of Adelaide where the wine country was located. But I feel it is only proper to also mention that I've had beer from all over the world, and Australia has the best.

Mike Kimball
SR#044

Legeorgen

First flight

Post by Legeorgen » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi everyone,

First flight for Rebel # 357 Saturday! Always an exciting moment. All went well. More details later, I'm off to church this morning with the family. I did have a problem with MAM's static port. I just disconnected it and used cabin air for the instruments.

Bruce G. 357R

S & L Aldrich

First flight

Post by S & L Aldrich » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Congratulations Bruce!
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of Legeorgen@cs.com
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2002 9:07 AM
Subject: Re: First flight

Hi everyone,

First flight for Rebel # 357 Saturday! Always an exciting moment. All went well. More details later, I'm off to church this morning with the family. I did have a problem with MAM's static port. I just disconnected it and used cabin air for the instruments.

Bruce G. 357R

Walter Klatt

First flight

Post by Walter Klatt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Congratulations! Glad to hear it went well, and looking forward to more reports. Good luck.

Walter
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of Legeorgen@cs.com
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2002 8:07 AM

Hi everyone,

Bruce G. 357R

Murray & Carol

First flight

Post by Murray & Carol » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Congratulations Bruce. Keep us informed.

Murray

Ian Donaldson

First flight

Post by Ian Donaldson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

G'day Bruce

Congratulations on your first flight.

I found that it was a great thrill when my Rebel first flew. I hope you were also thrilled with your effort.

Regards

Ian Donaldson
Hi everyone,

Bruce G. 357R

moose2b

First flight

Post by moose2b » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi Bruce!

Congratulations - and way to go!!

Have fun and be sure to keep all of us updated.

Terry Riedel

SR171

Legeorgen

First flight

Hi all,

Thanks for the encouraging support from all of you. I have 3 1/2 hours flight time now on my 0320 150 HP and CHT's, and OT seem to be acceptable and within limits. After a sustained five minute climb at full power CHT's reached 420 F, and at 2400 RPM cruise CHT's are 340 F. I'm still cataloging information and will have more to say on this later.

Right know I have a few questions for you 0320 drivers. It has been many years since I have flown behind a Lycoming and I have nothing to compare it to. The engine starts shaking more in best angle take off at 2400 RPM. It seems to hop around more in cruise at this RPM too. I here everyone talk about how the Lycoming shake but I haven't anything to compare it to. Is this normal? Is there a RPM restriction with this engine and the 74/56 metal Sensenich, at this RPM?

I found the Rebel to be a pleasant, forgiving, easy and fun plane to fly and land. AT first the Aileron stick forces where heavier than what I was use to in my Kitfox, but not uncomfortably so. I loved the way the Rebel sinks on landing approach. The Kitfox likes to float and is hard to spot land. Not the Rebel. The Rebel's descent rate is very stable, steep and predictable like a real STOL plane. There is plenty of elevator to flare on landing, even at very low speeds. I did rig in 28 degrees up elevator and it seems to be just right for my empty CofG of 9.95. More later.

Bruce G 357R

Walter Klatt

First flight

Post by Walter Klatt » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi, Bruce. I have the conical mount 150 HP 0320, but with the 3 blade Warp, and it turned out to be more smooth than I expected. I don't notice any vibration at 2400. The only thing I do remember, but not sure if it was a specific RPM, was with leaning. If it wasn't leaned right, it was a little rough, but a slight adjustment would fix that. I do know that my prop and spinner are perfectly balanced, so that of course is important, too.

Also, you could try switching mags to see if one side might be rougher.

I used to fly Cherokee 140's with the Sensenich and dynafocal 0320's, and they definitely had more vibration, but again don't recall if it was worse at 2400.

Walter
Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 6:46 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for the encouraging support from all of you. I have 3 1/2 hours flight time now on my 0320 150 HP and CHT's, and OT seem to be acceptable and within limits. After a sustained five minute climb at full power CHT's reached 420 F, and at 2400 RPM cruise CHT's are 340 F. I'm still cataloging information and will have more to say on this later.

Right know I have a few questions for you 0320 drivers. It has been many years since I have flown behind a Lycoming and I have nothing to compare it to. The engine starts shaking more in best angle take off at 2400 RPM. It seems to hop around more in cruise at this RPM too. I here everyone talk about how the Lycoming shake but I haven't anything to compare it to. Is this normal? Is there a RPM restriction with this engine and the 74/56 metal Sensenich, at this RPM?

I found the Rebel to be a pleasant, forgiving, easy and fun plane to fly and land. AT first the Aileron stick forces where heavier than what I was use to in my Kitfox, but not uncomfortably so. I loved the way the Rebel sinks on landing approach. The Kitfox likes to float and is hard to spot land. Not the Rebel. The Rebel's descent rate is very stable, steep and predictable like a real STOL plane. There is plenty of elevator to flare on landing, even at very low speeds. I did rig in 28 degrees up elevator and it seems to be just right for my empty CofG of 9.95. More later.

Bruce G 357R

Bob Patterson

First flight

Post by Bob Patterson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi Bruce !

Congratulations !!! Sounds like you've got everything working
just right - I envy your CHT's !!!

I usually cruise the 320 at 2,450 rpm, and economy cruise at
2,300 - 2,350 - saves almost 2 gph (!!) with my engine, and a bit smoother.
Haven't noticed a particular rpm that's worse for vibrations ...
(I have the same prop as you do.) They seem to prefer running faster,
especially after break-in. There's no factory restriction on rpm's
with the 320's, as far as I know - there <is> a BIG restricted range on
the 360's (with some props it runs from 2,100 to 2,450 rpm !!!).

You might need to re-torque your engine mounting bolts after
a few hours, as the rubber flexes - that might help a bit. I am still
amazed at how much that 320 hops around on the Dynafocal mounts, but
it seems to like it. If your engine's new, it might help to run it on
100 LL for the first few hours, and double check the mag timing.

It definitely will feel like there's a lot of shaking, compared
to the 912's smoothness .....

.....bobp

----------------------------------orig.---------------------------------
At 09:46 PM 8/6/02 EDT, you wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks for the encouraging support from all of you. I have 3 1/2 hours flight
time now on my 0320 150 HP and CHT's, and OT seem to be acceptable and within
limits. After a sustained five minute climb at full power CHT's reached 420
F, and at 2400 RPM cruise CHT's are 340 F. I'm still cataloging information
and will have more to say on this later.

Right know I have a few questions for you 0320 drivers. It has been many
years since I have flown behind a Lycoming and I have nothing to compare it
to. The engine starts shaking more in best angle take off at 2400 RPM. It
seems to hop around more in cruise at this RPM too. I here everyone talk
about how the Lycoming shake but I haven't anything to compare it to. Is this
normal? Is there a RPM restriction with this engine and the 74/56 metal
Sensenich, at this RPM?

I found the Rebel to be a pleasant, forgiving, easy and fun plane to fly and
land. AT first the Aileron stick forces where heavier than what I was use to
in my Kitfox, but not uncomfortably so. I loved the way the Rebel sinks on
landing approach. The Kitfox likes to float and is hard to spot land. Not the
Rebel. The Rebel's descent rate is very stable, steep and predictable like a
real STOL plane. There is plenty of elevator to flare on landing, even at
very low speeds. I did rig in 28 degrees up elevator and it seems to be just
right for my empty CofG of 9.95. More later.

Bruce G 357R

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2>Hi all,
<BR>
<BR>Thanks for the encouraging support from all of you. I have 3 1/2 hours
flight time now on my 0320 150 HP and CHT's, and OT seem to be acceptable
and within limits. &nbsp;After a sustained five minute climb at full power
CHT's reached 420 F, and at 2400 RPM cruise CHT's are 340 F. I'm still
cataloging information and will have more to say on this later.
<BR>
<BR>Right know I have a few questions for you 0320 drivers. It has been
many years since I have flown behind a Lycoming and I have nothing to
compare it to. The engine starts shaking more in best angle take off at 2400
RPM. &nbsp;It seems to hop around more in cruise at this RPM too. I here
everyone talk about how the Lycoming shake but I haven't anything to compare
it to. Is this normal? Is there a RPM restriction with this engine and the
74/56 metal Sensenich, at this RPM?
<BR>
<BR>I found the Rebel to be a pleasant, forgiving, easy and fun plane to
fly and land. AT first the Aileron stick forces where heavier than what I
was use to in my Kitfox, but not uncomfortably so. I loved the way the Rebel
sinks on landing approach. The Kitfox likes to float and is hard to spot
land. Not the Rebel. The Rebel's descent rate is very stable, steep and
predictable like a real STOL plane. There is plenty of elevator to flare on
landing, even at very low speeds. I did rig in 28 degrees up elevator and it
seems to be just right for my empty CofG of 9.95. More later.
<BR>
<BR>Bruce G 357R
<BR>
<BR></FONT></HTML>

Legeorgen

First flight

Hi Bob,

The shaking is probably normal, I must be used to the smoothens of the 912, like you said. A few more hours and I'll forget all about it.

If I remember right, when I installed the engine on the Barry engine mounts supplied by MAM, they where torqued down tight to the metal bushing inserts so I don't believe they can be torqued any tighter.

Mag timing may be an issue. I had a friend who new what he was doing help me time the mags. I would really like to fly another 0320 Rebel so I had something to compare it to, but that may not happen for a while.

Bruce G 357R

Rebflyer

First flight

Post by Rebflyer » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi Bruce, great to hear you're having fun! I found the test flying quite rewarding, and the questions that began were also great fun. As for the vibration in the prop, the best suggestion I can give is to get the prop balanced on the aircraft, similar to what the helicoptors use. Some call it "Chadwicking" after the manufacture of the device. When I was running the metal prop I had that done and I could tell the difference on the first ground run. It took 2 #10 penny washers mounted to the back of the prop bulkhead (sort of like tire weights) and the prop became very smooth at all rpms. It usually costs around 125 US to have done, but the savings in repair due to vibration are well worth it. Curt N97MR