Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Alaskan Rebel First Flight!!

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
craig walls

Post by craig walls » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Today our rebel made its first flight after almost four years of building! The flight went very smoothly and handling characteristics were as I expected, thanks in large part to my friend Scott letting me fly his rebel earlier this week. I spent about two hrs in it and it was great.

Take off was quick and climb out was effortless. I spent some time up high testing slow flight and had good control still at 45 indicated. I did notice that the plane likes to sink when power is reduced near 50 mph. I think I'll almost have to drag it in with power to go much slower. I also noticed that it doesn't want to descend when in the pattern. I kept finding myself high on final although a lot of that was me, I'm sure. Ben, Charlie, keep it up. It's really worth it.

I want to thank my wife Deb for all of her help and support during the building. We did it together and we'll probably build another plane! I remember having to take her to an airport and show her a super rebel after she heard the word "kit" just to prove it was a real airplane! Also great thanks to Si Smith and his sons, Charlie Eubanks, Wayne Pederson, Bob Patterson, Wayne Oshea, Ben Ransom, Walter Klatt, Dick Waupach, Jesse Jinks, and Dennis Finely, who sold me the motor, prop, and cowl. I know there are others but their names escape me right now. All of you rock! Thanks also to Mike Davis and the whole builder group for all of the inspiration and information. I'll be at Osh next year!

What an awesome feeling!! We'll get something on Youtube soon. Right now I want to fly again!!! Wheeee!!!!! Craig R207

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

mikeh

Post by mikeh » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm

On 9/1/2011 9:19 PM, snowyriver@ak.net wrote to rebel-builders:
Great news Craig, and your site has been very useful, thanks. I expect 818R
to fly by Xmas........just not sure which. Looking forward to hearing more