Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

[rebel-builders] Rebel Rudder Cable Exit Slot

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
WALTER KLATT

Post by WALTER KLATT » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Many float Rebels put on the exit fairing in addition to the doubler (or instead) for the rudder cable and elevator tubes. I do not have the exit fairings on mine, but do have a small drain hole at the back. I also heavily plastered my entire rear interior fuselage with zinc chromate epoxy. I don't know if water gets in there or not, but it is always dry when I get back down and into the hangar. No signs of any corrosion back there either, and I occasionally have it in salt water.

I think the most susceptible areas for wear and corrosion are the hinges and bolt attachments at the back. At least this is what I have seen on some other Rebels. I keep mine slathered well with grease and occasional spraying with Fluid Film or Boeshield, and again no sign of wear of corrosion. This is with 500 hours and 8 years on floats. My plane is hangared though, and is only left outside for a few days at a time when on trips.

Walter

----- Original Message -----
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:37 am
Subject: [rebel-builders] Rebel Rudder Cable Exit Slot
To: Rebel Builders <rebel-builders@dcsol.com>

[quote]Hello Group:

For those who operate on floats and those who tie down their
Rebels outside:

Does anyone have an issue with water (prop spray/rain/snow etc.)
getting into the fuselage via the “rudder cable exit slotâ€

Terry Dazey

Post by Terry Dazey » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:51 pm

Hello Walter:

Thank you for the information on the rudder cable exit fairing. Think that I will install the doubler on the inside skin and a removable .020 fairing outside.

Happy Flying!

Regards,
Terry Dazey
Rebel 662

-----Original Message-----
[quote]From: WALTER KLATT <Walter.Klatt@shaw.ca>
Sent: Aug 19, 2008 12:23 PM
To: rebel-builders@dcsol.com
Subject: Re: [rebel-builders] Rebel Rudder Cable Exit Slot

Many float Rebels put on the exit fairing in addition to the doubler (or instead) for the rudder cable and elevator tubes. I do not have the exit fairings on mine, but do have a small drain hole at the back. I also heavily plastered my entire rear interior fuselage with zinc chromate epoxy. I don't know if water gets in there or not, but it is always dry when I get back down and into the hangar. No signs of any corrosion back there either, and I occasionally have it in salt water.

I think the most susceptible areas for wear and corrosion are the hinges and bolt attachments at the back. At least this is what I have seen on some other Rebels. I keep mine slathered well with grease and occasional spraying with Fluid Film or Boeshield, and again no sign of wear of corrosion. This is with 500 hours and 8 years on floats. My plane is hangared though, and is only left outside for a few days at a time when on trips.

Walter

----- Original Message -----
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 11:37 am
Subject: [rebel-builders] Rebel Rudder Cable Exit Slot
To: Rebel Builders <rebel-builders@dcsol.com>

[quote]Hello Group:

For those who operate on floats and those who tie down their
Rebels outside:

Does anyone have an issue with water (prop spray/rain/snow etc.)
getting into the fuselage via the “rudder cable exit slotâ€Â