Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

RV Crash

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
John Peterson

RV Crash

Post by John Peterson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:47 pm

An unfortunate incident occurred just north of Barrie. An RV3 crashed and the pilot was killed yesterday. Thoughts go to the family for sure.
The reason I mention this is because of a quote in the local newspaper from and investigator with the Transportation Safety Board - Rae Simpson.
"Right now , we are trying to determine if it was a pilot problem or a technical problem. There are dozens of factors to consider in determining a cause of such a crash.
"WITH THESE HOMEBUILT MODELS, EVEN PUTTING THE WRONG SIZE OF SCREW IN CAN CREATE A PROBLEM WITH WIND CLEARANCE."
I would call this the quote of the day - Everyone who builds a "homebuilt" knows very well that the safety factor in these kits takes into account the fact that it is a homebuilt and that's probably the reason why there are so many )(&%$& rivets!!!!!! Also when building one keeps thinking about flying it and wants to know it's safe because your life and that of others depends on it.
I guess it is important to note how some of these people think about the kit a/c.
My two cents for the day.

John Peterson

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com

John Peterson

RV Crash

Thanks Jim and everyone else. No doubt the news media is prone to
making some very big errors and yes we hope that the inspector on site
didn't actually say it like that.
The unfortunate part is that it was said, published for the world to
see and even if we assume that it was misquoted, it has planted a seed
in a lot of people's minds that may know little or nothing about
homebuilts that they could very easily be unsafe.
Good idea Jim as I'm sure you are very capable and qualified to get
the message correct.

John Peterson

John Peterson

RV Crash

Dick
I am in Innisfil, Ontario, Canada and the paper is the Barrie Examiner in Barrie, Ontario.
Interestingly enough there was a big article in todays' paper on the unfortunate incident. Someone must have gotten the message thru to the Inspector(or he was misquoted!!!) because he was quoted as saying:
"There's no inherent danger (with amateur built aircraft). One could argue that they are safer, because of pride of ownership and the construction that goes into them. Each of these is unique, one of a kind...(but) at the end of the daythe aircraft meet the same standards."
Also Gus Funnell from Van's Aircraft made some good comments with regard to the RV aircraft right on point by saying:
"They're regarded as relatively safe and easy to fly as far as experimental planes go";
"very few cases where some kind of builder error led to problems."
Interesting comment although not quoted was a statement in the article
Officials with the Transportation Safety Board (TSB) also say home made planes don't carry more risk.
A person - Joe Kane - a pilot of 40 years was quoted as saying: "It's a piece of machinery. It's no different than something happening on the road." Plane crashes happen less frequently than motor-vehicle crashes, but they tend to be more spectacular."
AGAIN IT APPEARS AS IF THE MESSAGE WAS RECEIVED BY THE RIGHT PEOPLE AND LET'S HOPE THAT THIS HAS CLEARED UP THE MISCONCEPTIONS THAT SOME PEOPLE MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN.
Just a thought, I wonder if the terminology "home-built" in some way suggests and inferiority with the building process, whereas "amateur-built" might take some of that away. I know in the USA, they use the term "experimental" which was on my Rebel when I bought it. Again, just a thought. In the converse, I have a home-built "home" - better than any professional builder, in my humble opinion.
Oh well, it appears as if we are on the right track.
Thanks everyone for the opinion and assistance. Hope this didn't consume too much time away from those still building.

John Peterson