Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Fuel vents

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Charlie Starr

Fuel vents

Post by Charlie Starr » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:39 am

I've been at S & F for the last week and having just returned to a bunch of e-mails regarding fuel venting - thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth of experience with N96CS. (Didn't see a single Murphy at S&F)

I have the flush non-vented flush caps that came with the kit and I am using capacitance type fuel probes - thus no site gages - and have both tanks vented with a fitting at the top most point in the root rib of each. Of course this means that the actual vent line is about 1/2" below the top of the tank due to the attaching plate fitting. Both vent lines then run to a common inverted J tube above the fuselage (aluminum lines). The problem with this is that when a tank is full, the vent line is under fuel. With temperature expansion, fuel is then forced out the vent until the vent becomes uncovered.

I found it was necessary to vent the caps with an inverted J tube to correct this problem. I did weld small flanges on the caps so that they can be turned by these flanges rather than having someone grab the J tube. Seems to work fine.

Charlie Starr SR #065

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------