Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Prime and paint - need info please

General building discussions, not model specific.
chrisaviator

Prime and paint - need info please

Post by chrisaviator » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi all,

When I bought my part built rebel the previous builder had painted the fin, rudder, tail planes, elevator and 1 wing skin in a mixture of sikkens wash etch primer and single pack chromate.

Since buying the rebel, I have cleaned off all but the very last bits of etch primer off the tail surfaces using MEK and a green scouring pad (now back to bare metal on outside) and need to know what the best primer/paint system to use.

Basically I want to start and finish knowing that the paints will work together. From what I have read, I believe that I can use ether a single or 2 pack yellow etch primer or 2 pack epoxy primer (expensive) followed on by the randolph paint system...

what is your experience and what is the best and easiest paint system to use?

Heard about the new Randolph metal mark 2 paint. I believe that it can be painted on top of the yellow chromate primer and you only need a charcoal paint mask....which should make things easier, but apparently takes a very long time to dry.....

Randolph is very easy to get here in the UK - through LAS (Aircraft Spruce distributor) so I am swaying towards that as it is also has the option to color match when I paint the fabric.

What do you guys think -

Yellow chromate followed by Randolph Mark 2 colour,
epoxy followed by Randolph emamal or
Other system

Please advise

Expatnz

Re: Prime and paint - need info please

Post by Expatnz » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:44 pm

Have used these guys before and the paint is excellent. Don't know if you can get it in the UK
http://www.stewartsystems.aero/default.aspx

dbruce

Post by dbruce » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:25 pm

I painted all the outside surfaces recently ising the stewart systems paints and found it to work bery well once you get used to using it. If you decide to go that route send me a message and I can tell you the application methods that worked for me. Mixing is critical and best done by weight. They have paint suitable for fabric as well as one for the metal parts. You only need a charcoal respirator and clean up with water. Both nice attributes. Aircraft Spruce here in the US carries some of their line and they may be able to ship directly to you. The primer is single part and the topcoats are catalysed.

Attached is a picture of the fusalage with their paint.

Bruce
Attachments
image.jpg

Ken

Post by Ken » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:42 pm

With very careful prep and alumniprep33 + one coat of epoxy primer + one coat urethane, I had what looked like light filiform corrosion on struts and fairings after 11 years. Fuselage and wings are still OK which I attribute to a heavier coat of primer. Two primer coats are recommended by the paint manufacturer but I was keeping the weight down.
The engine mount has two coats of epoxy primer with no top coats and has zero corrosion/rust.

For the parts that I recently refinished, I did use an etch primer + two coats of epoxy + one coat urethane on most of the parts. After stripping, the corrosion proved to be more extensive and worse than expected. The epoxy manufacturer did recommend an etch primer first for increased protection. Alodine is even bettter but I refuse to touch that product.

Interestingly there is zero evidence of corrosion on any internal structure. Some was bare with a light coat of corrosion-x sprayed in after the exterior paint was applied. Some had a light coat of primer + corrosion-x.

The aircraft is in an open T hanger but there is a fair bit of daily condensation in this area.

Ken