Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Pitot tube

General building discussions, not model specific.
akmillman

Pitot tube

Post by akmillman » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Is the Dinon pitot tube a good choice? Thinking of mounting near wing strut, and routing lines through the leading edge of wing.

I think I want to use the Dinon in my instrument panel when I get there.

If there are other good suggestions on brands and styles. I want to close my wing up soon and need to get something on the way

Brad

schaumr

Re: Pitot tube

Post by schaumr » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:57 am

Brad,
I'm not sure its necessary to choose your pitot set-up prior to closing the wing, as most builders feed their pitot/static lines up through the wing-strut, and the pitot tube gets installed right next to two inspection ports in that area of the wing. In short, the system is often installed after the wings are completed and hung on the plane, so no need to rush your decision.

As for which brand pitot tube to use: I think virtually any brand can be (and has been) made to work. The Dynon model is an intriguing choice, given that it can provide differential pressure (AOA) information.
Rob Schaum
Rebel 786 - Flying Since 2022
Connecticut
http://mykitlog.com/schaumr

akmillman

Post by akmillman » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:34 am

Rob,

Are you saying that I can cut a hole from the outside, insert and rivet the pitot in place. Then route the lines down the strut?

Is there a place between the wing and the strut where the lines are exposed and require a fareing to cover?

Do you know if 1/4" lines are large enough?

Thanks.......Brad

Wayne Pederson

Post by Wayne Pederson » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:07 am

I mounted my pitot tube on the inspection cover and will come out by the strut bracket and run down the strut
http://www.whitetaildeerfarmer.com/Airplane.htm

schaumr

Post by schaumr » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:18 am

Brad,
Yes...if you look at Ron's web pics, you can get a sense of what's involved:

You can see from these photos how Ron fed the pitot lines through the strut, and where exposed, they get covered by the fairings.
Rob Schaum
Rebel 786 - Flying Since 2022
Connecticut
http://mykitlog.com/schaumr

Ken

Post by Ken » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:20 am

Mine is similar except on aft side of the main spar and inboard of the strut.
Works fine and big bonus is that unlike the trailing edge and the strut, I've never hit my head or poked my eye on the pitot!

1/4" tubing is fine as there is no flow in the tubing.

I think many folks with a few hours on a Rebel would agree that there is no need for a heated probe unless you require it for IFR. Operating without an airspeed indicator is a non event and it is pretty obvious if it is displaying wrong data. The control forces, the noise, the attitude all gives lots of feedback which is I think much of the reason the aircraft is so comfortable to fly.

Ken

akmillman

Post by akmillman » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:24 am

Thanks Rob, Wayne and Ken, I think I got what I needed to move forward.

Again, this is a priceless resource. Thanks Fairbanks Miike. That's an Alaskan for ya.

Brad

mikeh

Post by mikeh » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:34 pm

Here is another approach. Made from quarter inch versatube, suitably shaped and secured with cable ties inside the wing. Some of the plumbing is one eighth tubing. Simple, cheap, light, and works perfectly. In this case the plumbing passes through the wing D section and into the cabin through the fuselage root rib.
Cheers
Mike
Attachments
SAM_2712.JPG
Pitot, 818R

Ray Mason

Post by Ray Mason » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Well since we are on Pitot tubes I have a question about mine. It points about 10 deg up from level when in level flight. My ASI always indicates low. I am going to assume this is probably it as I have done a leak check and Manometer check.

snowyriver

Post by snowyriver » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Safe-Air makes a kit for installing pitot and static. Comes with quick disconnects, all tubing, ect. As for Dynon, I will put out a shout for their products AND customer service. I love mine. CW
Craig Walls
Retired Firefighter
Flying as of September 2011