Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Screens vs Filters (redux)

General building discussions, not model specific.
eswilley

Screens vs Filters (redux)

Post by eswilley » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:03 pm

Interested in getting feedback on screens vs (current generation) full-flow and bypass oil filtration. I'm currently running an ADC solution with 60 micron screens and with a low-time engine I want to protect my investment. Oberg now has 28 micron screens, but there's a concern over flow restriction and pressure drop across the media. Online research reveals that an appreciable amount of wear comes from 20 micron particulate matter (in automobile engines). Current generation 'spin-on' synthetic poly filtration media (i.e. Amsoil) pulls 98% of such material out with minimal flow restriction and they offer an attractive combination full-flow & bypass solution that will plumb right in.
I see a few folks running ADC (and legacy OEM) screens so I wanted to get opinions/experience from the field before I drop $300 into the solution.
Advantage would be absolute filtration and extended intervals... down side is recurring expense ($30/change) and extra material on the firewall.
Appreciate any feedback/advice/experience that anyone's willing to offer.

Ken

Re: Screens vs Filters (redux)

Post by Ken » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:43 am

Newish automobile engines run different bearing material and dramatically tighter clearances and are much more sensitive to oil cleanliness. If you really research that 98% number you will likely conclude that it does not mean much.

I'd google any info that Mike Busch might have online about filters. Unless he says otherwise, I'd be happy as long as I had any filter on the engine. I'm sure there is far more engine wear from moisture and acids than particulates in most of these engines. Using one of the crankcase moisture removal systems between flights would interest me a lot more than swapping to an extra fine filter.

Ken

tjhickey

Re: Screens vs Filters (redux)

Post by tjhickey » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:48 pm

I have no filter on my Zenith CH-300. Just now passing 2300 hours on a rebuild in 1986. At 1000 hours I put on 4 new Lycoming cylinder assemblies. I don't feel at all bad about not having a filter because I change oil every 25 hours. While that may seem overly expensive, it has always seemed to work out that the end of the 25 hour time matches with the change in the seasons. I change oil generally in early November to a multi viz, and then I change to a straight 50 weight in late April or May. That gives me fresh oil every 6 months, and so far, no problem. I will say that oil pressure is showing a little less vigor now than 28 years ago, but so am I.

Tim
Tim Hickey
Montrose, Iowa
319 795-2684