Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

RR5406 Stainless Rivets Needed

General building discussions, not model specific.
Terry R662

RR5406 Stainless Rivets Needed

Post by Terry R662 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:08 pm

Am getting close to final fitting of the wing to the fuselage. Before I do so, there are two holes on each aft wing attach tab on my Rebel that need two each RR5406 stainless rivets (1/8 x 3/8 SS). Unfortunately, I do not have any of these in stock. Was wondering if anyone had an extra 4 or 5 of them they would like to sell? I will pay post, packaging and price.

Thank you in advance.
Rebel 662

Terry Dazey
4702 W Tapps Dr E
Lake Tapps, WA 98391 USA

Contact me: dazey@turbousa.com

tjhickey

Re: RR5406 Stainless Rivets Needed

Post by tjhickey » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:31 am

Don't have any rivets, but I want to offer up for your consideration something that Charlie Eubanks ran into when he was putting on his wings. I have not gotten that far yet, so I can only introduce the subject so you may check for yourself. Charlie believes that it is important to check that the angle of incidence of both wings are the same. Sure, there are pre-drilled holes that one would HOPE would make everything line up perfectly, but in the Murphy Universe things don't always happen the way one would think, or hope. In other words, before you drill the wing attach fittings to final size, I suggest that you triple check that everything is as you want it to be. Don't blindly assume that hole A and hole B will mate up and everything will be fine. It may not be. To be the optimist, it might be, but you really should check before you lock it into position.

YMMV

Tim R808
Tim Hickey
Montrose, Iowa
319 795-2684

snowyriver

Post by snowyriver » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:33 am

Terry,

I'm fairly certain I have those rivets. If you want, give me a call later today on my cell and we'll talk. Craig 907-631-2088
Craig Walls
Retired Firefighter
Flying as of September 2011

Terry R662

Post by Terry R662 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 am

Fuselage Aft Wing Attach Bracket Tab1.jpg
Fuselage Aft Wing Attach Bracket Tab R662
Thank you ALL for the quick response, suggestions and kind offers for 4 each RR5406 1/8 x 3/8 stainless rivets. The rivets are in the mail from Charles Starr (FL) and should arrive soon.

Unfortunately, my manual is at the hangar with no reference to part numbers at this time, but wish to explain further where the suspect rivets get installed.

The 4 ply aluminum fuselage aft wing attach/bracket tabs are bolted to the upper fuselage bulkhead and protrude outside to accept the wings aft attach tab and attach bolts. There are two vertical pilot holes in each of these tabs with no mention in the manual as what to do with these. Had a note in my manual from many years ago that said, "Brian Godden (MAM Tech): Install a RR5406 1/8 x 3/8 stainless rivet in each hole". Unfortunately, this task has been put off until the last minute. Searching my stock of rivets, I realized that I did not have any RR5406's in stock and getting close to final wing installation. It is necessary that this item get completed before the wings are final installed, as a rivet puller will not fit into this area with the wings attached. With that said, I have attached a photo of the left bracket tab, sans rivets for reference. Note that the bolt orientation shown in the photo is incorrectly installed. It is only temproary while working on the torque tube/flaperon system.

Thank you all again for your quick response, suggestions and kind offers.

Terry Dazey
Lake Tapps, WA USA
R662

Ken

Post by Ken » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:23 am

THere are lots (most?) flying with no rivets there Terry. There is a discussion somewhere suggesting those are manufacturing tool holes. Also if those are 2024 aluminum I hate putting stainless corrosion promoting rivets into critical parts.
Ken

snowyriver

Post by snowyriver » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:04 pm

Terry,

I got your message and wanted to let you know that I have those rivets if you still want them. I didn't put anything in those holes. I can bring them to Osh if you'd like. Craig
Craig Walls
Retired Firefighter

Terry R662

Post by Terry R662 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:31 am

Hello Ken and Craig!

Thank you for the suggestion, comments and offer. Ken and several others had said the same as you. "Most folks do not put anything in those holes." Guess I was just going with what I had written in my manual YEARS ago. Consequently, I am going with the majority suggestion and not put anything in the holes.

Thank you again ALL for the offer.

Over-and-out . . .

Terry R662
Lake Tapps, Washington USA

snowyriver

Post by snowyriver » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:25 pm

Hi Terry,

I looked for you at the rebel gathering in Osh. I had those rivets with me. Good to hear you don't need them anymore. Hope all else is well. Craig
Craig Walls
Retired Firefighter

llagrone

Post by llagrone » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:17 pm

All rivets, including stainless steel rivets, are available at Global Stores Group blindrivets.com. They have tools etc: There is a minimum order of 500 of any type of rivet. I have been happy with delivery and quality. Larry