Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Fuel Tank Sealant

General building discussions, not model specific.
TongueTied

Fuel Tank Sealant

Post by TongueTied » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:56 am

Hi All,
After a very long hiatus, Victor and I are starting to build our Rebel again. I'm currently trying to track down the chemicals I need. I'll post a separate question about the primer but first the fuel tank sealant. I have tracked down a supplier for PRC Pro-Seal and another for FlameMaster. The FlameMaster is cheaper but not by much. The choices I have are (all Class B2):

PRC PS890
PRC PR1440
PRC PR1442, and
FlameMaster

So, does anyone have any experience with FlameMaster? Is it just as good as PRC and if PRC is the one I should use, which of the 3 PRC products is appropriate?

Thanks
Philip
Rebel 489R

Elite583

Re: Fuel Tank Sealant

Post by Elite583 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:57 pm

TongueTied wrote:Hi All,
After a very long hiatus, Victor and I are starting to build our Rebel again. I'm currently trying to track down the chemicals I need. I'll post a separate question about the primer but first the fuel tank sealant. I have tracked down a supplier for PRC Pro-Seal and another for FlameMaster. The FlameMaster is cheaper but not by much. The choices I have are (all Class B2):

PRC PS890
PRC PR1440
PRC PR1442, and
FlameMaster

So, does anyone have any experience with FlameMaster? Is it just as good as PRC and if PRC is the one I should use, which of the 3 PRC products is appropriate?

Thanks
Philip
Hi Philip

We have used the Flamemaster materials and have been satisfied with the results. I believe the materials that meet the same MIL-SPECs are considered interchangeable.

These:

http://www.crlaurence.com.au/crlapps/sh ... delID=3114

are great for dispensing the material where you want it with less mess than popsicle stick/tongue depressors, just mix up a batch and pop it in the tube.

Dave 8)
Elite583

TongueTied

Post by TongueTied » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:34 pm

Thanks everyone. I've gone and picked up some FlameMaster. Since the distributor is 10 minutes down the road, it makes it much easier than ordering from Victoria...and paying twice as much for the PPG Proseal.
Rebel 489R

TongueTied

Post by TongueTied » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:45 pm

One further question for you about this stuff. Should I store it in the fridge or the freezer?
Rebel 489R

snowyriver

Post by snowyriver » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:56 pm

I kept ours in a cool place. Not too hard up here in AK. A fridge would probably be good. I did put mixed compound in the freezer for I think, 2 days and it was still okay. That was blessed by the manufacturer. One more note, when I expressed concern to MAM about expired proseal (ours was flamemaster), they said not to worry. The date was for certified work and that the stuff was still good. I think it was about a year out of date and I was glad because it wasn't cheap. There are things yo don't want to go out and buy until you need them, I guess. Anyhow, no leaks so I guess it was just fine.
Craig Walls
Retired Firefighter
Flying as of September 2011

TongueTied

Post by TongueTied » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:15 pm

snowyriver wrote:One more note, when I expressed concern to MAM about expired proseal (ours was flamemaster), they said not to worry. The date was for certified work and that the stuff was still good. I think it was about a year out of date and I was glad because it wasn't cheap.
I still have an unopened tin of proseal that came with my Rebel but it is now 18 years out of date! :shock: :shock: :shock: So, I don't think is is usable anymore.
Rebel 489R

Dale

Post by Dale » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Freezer is best...... but don't keep in with your food. I made that mistake once, but my wife corrected me :roll: and now I never forget.
Last edited by Dale on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dale
British Columbia, BC
Mountain Flying at Its Best

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:00 pm

I've had cans in a very cold shop fridge for over a decade that still work just fine. I only use those for floats and such, but they seem to set up just fine. Just be sure to take your cans out at least a full day before you want to use them and be sure to stir the activator well before measuring it out 10 to 1 by weight.

c120pilot

Post by c120pilot » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:51 pm

Lockheed keeps theirs in a chest freezer until used. Dale is right, no food ( might taste like a microwave dinner after being in the same freezer ) :shock:

Curtis

LittleAdvCo

Post by LittleAdvCo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:25 pm

I don't have any personal experience with this stuff yet, but perhaps Ziploc freezer bags - if you can find one big enough - would alleviate the need for a Pro-Seal-only freezer?
Sean Smith

dayflyer_287

Post by dayflyer_287 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:34 am

TongueTied wrote:Hi All,

PRC PS890
PRC PR1440
PRC PR1442, and
FlameMaster

Thanks
Philip
Phil it's the same stuff I might suggest ordering a B4 compound tho, it gives you a 4 hour working time vs. 2 hours and as pricy as the stuff is you need the extra time to work with it especially the fuel tanks, also freezing it prolongs the shelf life, just and fyi have plenty of sergi-gloves handy along with solvent and rags,

c120pilot

Post by c120pilot » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:38 am

Phil,
I used the proseal B-2 worked great. Remember for every 10 degrees above 70 it cuts the cure time in half. I did the top skins at 84 degrees so it was a little less fun..... Also keep some spray lube handy for the jaws of your rivet gun some of the proseal will get on the rivet stems and into your gun. Just Remember to disconnect the air hose if you have to clean the jaws of the gun.
At work I use B-1/2 and B-2 to seal connections for the generator ground and cowl door grounds. Both go on the same, for our tanks the longer cure time is definately better.

Curtis
175R