Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Ron Shannon

General building discussions, not model specific.
Garry

Ron Shannon

Post by Garry » Fri May 01, 2020 4:04 am

My friend Ron Shannon passed away April 27, 2020 after an extended period of illness. He built and flew a beautiful Rebel, which I referred to as a show plane when compared to my bush plane. We met when I offered a seat to the community for the Rebel Ramble to Osh in 2007. Ron grabbed it and we became great friends. Ron's beautiful build site became a problem a few years back and while I have the data available, to date neither Ron or I have been able to open it up and rebuild the site yet.
Garry
C-FOKM 068R

Flygirl

Re: Ron Shannon

Post by Flygirl » Fri May 01, 2020 5:43 am

So sorry for the loss of your friend Ron. Osh 2007 was where I met Ron and you many years ago and yes, Ron's build page was a great resource while we were building our plane. Ron's detailed input will be missed.

WWhunter

Post by WWhunter » Fri May 01, 2020 5:47 am

Garry,

So sorry to hear abut Ron's passing. Ihave been wondering how he was doing. Last I emailed him, he wasn't himself and I could only offer him best wishes.

Keith

tjhickey

Post by tjhickey » Sat May 02, 2020 6:41 am

Ron was one of the most unique individuals I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. I only saw him face to face once, at Oshkosh, but we traded emails back and forth, and I had deep admiration for his knowledge and skills. I too, had been wondering how he was doing, as over the past two years our exchanges had tapered off. My condolences to his family and friends.

Tim Hickey
Tim Hickey
Montrose, Iowa
319 795-2684

Coastflyer

Post by Coastflyer » Sat May 02, 2020 8:06 am

Sorry to hear this. I visited Ron at his place in Sequim. Nice guy
Jesse

schaumr

Post by schaumr » Mon May 04, 2020 12:42 pm

I echo the sentiments here...Ron was a great person, and his website was indeed a huge resource (at least for me).

Garry....what would it take to bring his website data back online? Money? time? expertise?...all three?

Rob
Rob Schaum
Rebel 786 - Flying Since 2022
Connecticut
http://mykitlog.com/schaumr

Garry

Post by Garry » Mon May 04, 2020 1:25 pm

Rob,

The website was a Drupal 6 website, and as best I can tell, Ron lost his ability to access the database (mysql I think) for unknown reasons. I think he hosted this himself at home and probably had some local hosting issue. Not sure. This misadventure occurred after brain surgery and Ron was never able to handle it again. I am familiar but certainly no expert in Drupal 7, but I've never touched Drupal 6. It's also been about 20 years since my last work on database stuff which was postgresql, a system similar to but not identical to mysql. If we could muster the manpower with those experiences we could likely do a resurrection. Otherwise, it will wait until this old one gets around to it, and I'm not getting any younger or more capable. Finally someone would have to sponsor the website and take care of it. So all of the above with limited assurance of success. Is there anyone in our group with the skills? We do keep losing these build sites for similar reasons over the years. Not sure what we can do about it.

Garry
Garry
C-FOKM 068R

schaumr

Post by schaumr » Mon May 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Thanks for the explanation Garry,

Mike Fairbanks (the owner/administrator of this site) has offered to host builders' logs here, so perhaps we could capitalize on that?
Rob Schaum
Connecticut

mikefairbanks
Site Admin

Post by mikefairbanks » Tue May 05, 2020 6:22 am

I actually hosted Ron's site years ago, and the directory is still setup on the server... however it is empty. I also checked the mysql databases, and there are none related to his site, so don't believe he ever had the Drupal site setup on my system.

If you can tell me what release of Drupal 6 it was, I'd be happy to set it up for you. There were 4 beta releases, 4 RC releases, and then the official release 6.0 followed by 38 maintenance releases through 6.38. It is important to get the same release if I am going to be able to drop a copy of his database in place and have it work. It might be possible to put the last release on, drop his database in, then run the update script... but I'd just have to try it and see if it works.
Mike Davis
Fairbanks, Alaska
"I'd rather be flying!"

Garry

Post by Garry » Tue May 05, 2020 7:15 am

Mike,
I will dig into it and try to answer those questions. You and I should probably have a chat about all that and earlier circumstances. Please PM me with a phone number.
Garry
C-FOKM 068R

snowyriver

Post by snowyriver » Tue May 05, 2020 7:28 am

Ron will be missed. His web site and input on this forum were helpful and appreciated. I know I got a lot from it during my build.
Craig Walls
Retired Firefighter
Flying as of September 2011

Garry

Post by Garry » Tue May 05, 2020 12:10 pm

Mike,

Please PM me so I can send back the dbase, and other related data privately. I had forgotten I had opened the sql file successfully in 2017 and stopped there. I don't seem to find anything in my records about the Drupal 6 config. The sql file is 15 Mb so I suspect I can just email it to you.
Garry
C-FOKM 068R

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Tue May 05, 2020 2:45 pm

Sorry to hear of Ron's passing! Ron was a friend of mine on Fakebook until he went far right on me and I got tired of the BS. If I'd known what he was up against I'd have understood, considering our Daughter that lived a similar path in the end.

Sorry for the loss Garry, but I do have to say that there is no need to revive that website that nobody used. It is what it is and builders have all they need here, as long as Mike keeps this site going.
Last edited by irishfield on Tue May 05, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flygirl

Post by Flygirl » Tue May 05, 2020 3:26 pm

irishfield wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:45 pm

but I do have to say that there is no need to revive that website that nobody used. It is what it is and builders have all they need here, as long as Mike keeps this site going.
Speak for yourself Wayne, maybe you didn't use it; but it was a useful resource for us while building.

Garry, if you get Ron's up and running I'm sure there are builders that would appreciate it. If not, it was a good resource at the time when we built our plane. Thanks.

schaumr

Post by schaumr » Tue May 05, 2020 4:01 pm

I echo flygirl's comments...This builders forum has lots of good information, but Ron's website was well documented (text and photos) and obviously in chronological order, so I see it as a complimentary resource to this one.
Rob Schaum
Connecticut