Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

REBEL or not?

General building discussions, not model specific.
Jenki

REBEL or not?

Post by Jenki » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi boys, I've found following aircraft at the airport Vrsar (LDPV) and it looks like Rebel... but they told me it is not Rebel...
I don't understand, but they are speaking about German construction but for me, it is simply REBEL, all details are simply Rebel. Engine is Jabiru, aircraft is more parking than flying (this year probably no flight) and sea shore with salt in the air is net very good for it.
Let me know, what do you think?
Resize of IMG_0985.JPG
Resize of IMG_0988.JPG
Resize of IMG_0993.JPG

Washington Rebel

Re: REBEL or not?

Post by Washington Rebel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:06 pm

I think it is a rebel clone.
Some have copied the rebel plans to make their own rebel type planes
Another reason Murphy doesn't publish technical drawings.
Tom
Rebel 831R
Flying as of May 2016

Rebel541

Post by Rebel541 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:12 pm

G'day ( from Australia ) Jenki !

Yep ..... I've seen two different aircraft that I would call "Rebel Clones" also !!!

They both had MANY design features that were virtually IDENTICAL to a Rebel ( design / layout, size and ratio of components, even down to spacing of rivet lines !!! )
..... but then differed "here & there" ............ but overall "They ARE Rebel copies" .......

One was a factory built LOW WING aircraft out of Czechoslovakia ..... where the wings, the fuselage, that tail feathers were ALL identical to our Rebel ..... but it had been re-engineered to be a low wing ( from memory the guy who bought the plane said that there was a "high wing version" available as well )

It is said that "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" ........ but - when it comes to aircraft - you DON'T KNOW if crucial / key components ARE made as well as the thing they are copied FROM .... ( IE : The parent material something is made FROM, or it's hardening / tempering process or thickness of the material either !!! )

So ... Caveat emptor !!!

( buyer beware )

Rick in Orrrrrsytraylya
Rick "Biggus" Harper in OZ
Kits 541 & 432

Washington Rebel

Post by Washington Rebel » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:14 pm

Yep Rick
This one looks almost identical except the gear and the slope behind the rear side windows
Tom
Rebel 831R
Flying as of May 2016

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:09 pm

Been called R and D for decades in the industry! Ripoff and Duplicate !

Jenki

Post by Jenki » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:39 am

Rebel541 wrote:G'day ( from Australia ) Jenki !
Yep ..... I've seen two different aircraft that I would call "Rebel Clones" also !!!
They both had MANY design features that were virtually IDENTICAL to a Rebel ( design / layout, size and ratio of components, even down to spacing of rivet lines !!! )
..... but then differed "here & there" ............ but overall "They ARE Rebel copies" .......
One was a factory built LOW WING aircraft out of Czechoslovakia ..... where the wings, the fuselage, that tail feathers were ALL identical to our Rebel ..... but it had been re-engineered to be a low wing ( from memory the guy who bought the plane said that there was a "high wing version" available as well )
It is said that "Imitation is the highest form of flattery" ........ but - when it comes to aircraft - you DON'T KNOW if crucial / key components ARE made as well as the thing they are copied FROM .... ( IE : The parent material something is made FROM, or it's hardening / tempering process or thickness of the material either !!! )
So ... Caveat emptor !!!

( buyer beware )

Rick in Orrrrrsytraylya
Hi Rick,
it could be nice to know for me anything about this one: One was a factory built LOW WING aircraft out of Czechoslovakia , Can you find more details for me? I am really curios. And I will try to find locally here details as well.

Jenki

Post by Jenki » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:57 am

Regarding aircraft I've posted above I've found following info:
The ULBI Wild Thing is a German ultralight aircraft, designed by R. Kurtz and produced by Ultraleicht Bau International (ULBI), of Hassfurt. The aircraft was supplied as a kit for amateur construction or as a complete ready-to-fly-aircraft. In the 1990s the aircraft was marketed by Air-Max GmbH of Nuremberg, Germany. The aircraft was introduced in 1996 and production ended when ULBI went out of business in 2014. Number built 75 (1998) Above info is from Wikipedia.
Present owner is German as well, btw.
I've found main difference in landing gear.
Sorry I'm posting such info here but I'm often traveling with my present small aircraft across Europe and everything similar to REBEL can attract my attention.