Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Corrosion proofing

General building discussions, not model specific.
Spring-Air

Corrosion proofing

Post by Spring-Air » Sun May 22, 2016 6:10 am

Anybody out there have any info or thoughts on corrosion proofing as you build? Different types, ease of use, cost etc.
Starting on my moose and want to do the proofing as I build.

Spring-Air
Last edited by Spring-Air on Sun May 22, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ken

Re: Corrosion proofing

Post by Ken » Sun May 22, 2016 7:16 am

I refuse to deal with the relatively toxic conversion coatings.

I used a very very light coat of epoxy primer on exposed surfaces applied after partial assembly where possible. Don't let it hinder good surface prep of faying surfaces. A very light see through coating will not flake off if panels flex in service.

My preferred solution for enclosed areas is corrosion-X or ACF-50 sprayed in after the exterior is painted. It creeps into nooks and crevices and displaces moisture then stays to keep out new moisture. That might mean a few 1/8" or larger holes in various places depending on how you do it.

Ken

Jerry Folkerts

Post by Jerry Folkerts » Sun May 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Spring-Air,
Search for Primer on Vans Air Force Forum and you will find more opinions and reading to last you for 24 hours. Personally, after reading everyone's opinion, I decided to prime every part and used SEM primer, a self-etching primer for Aluminum. The downside, it became very expensive. When I started, it was $11 per spray can and now it is $16. The quart is less expensive, but you have to break out the spray gun for every little piece. I understand NAPA auto parts has a good self-etching primer, I believe it is 7720 or something like that, and they put it on sale every now and then.
My logic was for resale purposes. I live in the Midwest, no salt water concerns etc. But if someone purchased it and wanted to put it on amphibs, it might help. Just some thoughts and one opinion.
Best,
Jerry Folkerts
Jerry Folkerts
SW Colorado
SR 2500 #093
http://www.mykitlog.com/jfolkerts
http://www.thepedalrv.com

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Sun May 22, 2016 5:13 pm

Polyfiber EP420, or a similar (zinc) epoxy primer, brushed on between mating parts and riveted while still wet.... while dipping every rivet' shop head in primer before insertion and pulling. All drips, rivet "rings", smears and bleed outs cleaned up before it dries, at least on the outside. Nothing else is needed on 6061, other than you may want to lightly coat the internal parts / skins of the tail feathers with same for float flying.

You don't not want anything on the outside skins ahead of 24 hours to paint or you'll be sanding /scotchbriting that entire airplane for prime and paint to get adhesion.

snowyriver

Post by snowyriver » Thu May 26, 2016 2:32 pm

And REMEMBER! If you use Corrosion X, Don't use it BEFORE you paint! It will haunt you! Also, it doesn't take much! Take it from someone who's motto is If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing! Craig
Craig Walls
Retired Firefighter
Flying as of September 2011