Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Murphy Aircraft Manufacturing For Sale

General building discussions, not model specific.
mipalito2

Murphy Aircraft Manufacturing For Sale

Post by mipalito2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am

"Canadian experimental kit manufacturer up for sale"

"Murphy Aircraft Manufacturing, an experimental kit plane manufacturer based in Chilliwack, British Columbia, is on the market with a minimum price tag of $2.5 million. The asking price could go up to $4 million, depending on how much of the company's machinery the buyer is interested in. "After 30 enjoyable years running Murphy Aircraft, I am approaching retirement, with the desire to spend more time with family and pursue other interests," said founder and President Darryl Murphy. AVweb (1/9)"

Hi Ted: How do you interpret these news about Murphy Aircraft?
Regards, Eduardo

tedwaltman

Murphy Aircraft for sale

Post by tedwaltman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:31 pm

I wish Darryl the best. Perhaps someone of the caliber of VANS will purchase the assets and then do things properly--issue service bulletins, write a proper manual, answer the phone, et cetera. I could go on, but I suspect you get the idea. I don't think the "for sale" announcement has any effect on the availability of parts or on the future value of our aircraft.

fadarnell

Re: Super Rebel--to--Moose upgrades

Post by fadarnell » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:32 pm

I think this post should be moved out of this thread, but I'll kick in my opinion in the meantime. I think it should be taken at face value. He's been in business a long time, has a had a better run than most kit manufacturers out there, and all major aviation industry journals are indicating a predicted upturn in general aviation markets. If you couple that with an aging fleet of manufactured aircraft, it's likely the time is right from a market perspective as well as a life perspective.

Fred Darnell
N2500V-Murphhy Super Rebel IO-540 Trike, 300+hours
http://www.n2500v.com
Fred Darnell, Charlotte, NC
N2500V, SR2500 IO-540 Trike
http://www.n2500v.com

irishfield

Re: Murphy Aircraft Manufacturing For Sale

Post by irishfield » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:28 pm

Just means business as usual.. actually will probably mean business stepped up from usual !

Starting my own main (Plastics) business back in 1985 myself, I know exactly how Darryl feels. A brain and body can only take so much and I wish him both success in a financially sound hand off and his future endeavors .... and the much needed R n R with family and friends! :thumbup:

Dale

Post by Dale » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:36 pm

MAM has been up for sale for many years now....... this is nothing new. Maybe this time Darryl won't be so stringent over the details and scrooge over the money. These a/c kits could be the next best kit for high wing...... only cause Vans has the low wings. Best of luck to Darryl as usual.
Dale
British Columbia, BC
Mountain Flying at Its Best

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Kinda what I meant by business as usual Dale, as I've been "in the know" all along. Now that it's out in the open I suspect the shop will be in ship shape to procure a sale. If everything wasn't in BC... the "Remington Advert" might have happened way back in '95 . I'm too old to bother now...

Walter Klatt

Post by Walter Klatt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:34 am

Well, I certainly wish Darryl the best going forward. And have to thank him again for designing and producing such great kit planes. If it wasn't for him, I would not be flying and enjoying "The World's Greatest Float Plane!".
Walter Klatt