Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

HD Camera Options for flight - propeller artifact

General building discussions, not model specific.
schaumr

HD Camera Options for flight - propeller artifact

Post by schaumr » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:09 am

Hi all,
In response to some questions on another thread (Jesse's video of his off airport landings), I decided to share my experiences with my older model go-pro camera and controlling the 'propeller artifact'.

I wrote this as a 'how-to article' for our local EAA chapter (and it's still not quite ready yet), but I thought folks here might find it useful.

Rob
Capturing your Flight on Video.pdf
How to control for propeller artifact
(726.38 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
Rob Schaum
Rebel 786 - Flying Since 2022
Connecticut
http://mykitlog.com/schaumr

tedwaltman

Re: HD Camera Options for flight - propeller artifact

Post by tedwaltman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:32 am

Excellent article Rob. Well researched and illustrated with good pictures. Thank you for posting. I have used even a first generation GoPro with the filter set up you illustrate--works great in my opinion. And I was able to purchase the first generation GoPro for less than $100 on Craigslist.

Coastflyer

Post by Coastflyer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:01 am

Good article Rob, and timely! Thanks. Do you think I could somehow put a filter on my smartphone camera? Maybe just tape it on. It's so convenient for in-cockpit recording and so easy to send it directly to YouTube or wherever. Could probably plug in a microphone too?
I do want to do an external mount at some point, and will probably get a gopro for that, but in the meantime it seems like I could have fun with a glareshield mounted phone.
Jesse

Walter Klatt

Post by Walter Klatt » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:23 am

You probably can. I got a little macro lens off ebay for an iPhone/iPad (and other phones). It has a small stick on ring to your camera, and the lens adapter is magnetic, so it stays in place. I am sure you can get neutral density filters (which cuts down light and alters your auto shutter speed to reduce prop effect) for it as well. They are cheap. I think I paid about 5 or 6 bucks for mine. So could be worth a try.
Walter Klatt

tedwaltman

Post by tedwaltman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:24 am

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:41 am

All I can tell you... is the battery doesn't last long enough when it's -20C out.. fully charged mine made it about 8 minutes today! Long enough to get the take off and surroundings. Need a +5v "aux out" to the wing strut I guess from the panel... :mrgreen: I'll see if I can get the video up later... for those that don't get to do ski flights!

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:15 am

Here's a teaser... 18" of fresh snow... hydraulic plate skis and no more than 420 feet used from a dead stop. The wind sock is 1000' from the gate post. Went out and measured it.. actually 360 feet to lift off... and realized I'm in the wrong thread but Rob will give me a by I'm sure! :wtf:
Attachments
tracks.jpg

Coastflyer

Post by Coastflyer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:49 am

Did another experiment yesterday with a homemade mount that I whipped up in about 5 min. It actually worked well, but I didn't notice until after that the edge of the mount is in the frame. The prop filter is going to be a necessity. I think I will try to incorporate one into a homemade mount.
Also, I need to remember to slip to the left:) Sorry about that.
There are some real bushes this time though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k9Fa5N ... ata_player
Last edited by Coastflyer on Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jesse

Coastflyer

Post by Coastflyer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:50 am

Did another experiment yesterday with a homemade mount that I whipped up in about 5 min. It actually worked well, but I didn't notice until after that the edge of the mount is in the frame. The prop filter is going to be a necessity. I think I will try to incorporate one into a homemade mount.
Also, I need to remember to slip to the left:) Sorry about that.
There are some real bushes this time though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k9Fa5N ... ata_player
Jesse

Walter Klatt

Post by Walter Klatt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:27 am

Wow, not a lot of runway left after that landing.... And definitely looked intimidating from the air. Looks like you did it perfectly, though. What is the elevation?
Walter Klatt

Coastflyer

Post by Coastflyer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ay_wR5 ... ata_player

Went back up today and fixed the mount obscuration, and slipped the right way. The lighting was nice too. Much better video.
It was also my first time with a passenger into that strip. He made an appropriate comment at the end of the rollout, which you can hear on the audio.
Yes Walter, it's a bit intimidating, but as long as you get slowed down It's plenty long. You could actually land a lot shorter, but the first part is rough so I like to extend once I know It's in the bag. It's such a beautiful spot though, with the view over the ocean. It's about 3500'
Jesse

Walter Klatt

Post by Walter Klatt » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:06 pm

Well done once again, and I could see this time how you picked your landing spot. Beautiful location indeed. I love watching vids of where people go with their Rebels. I have done a few but wish more people would record and show theirs.

Can you show a pic of exactly where you mount your cam? I mount mine up top just under the fuse cross member. Gives a good view over the cowl.
Walter Klatt

Coastflyer

Post by Coastflyer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:57 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_c6_5l ... ata_player

Here's another spot I hit today. This is the home of Earthstar ultralights. He's now using the motor and batteries from the Zero electric motorcycle in his Thunder Gull. It flies great!
Jesse

Coastflyer

Post by Coastflyer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMP8U84 ... ata_player

Here's the takeoff. See if you can spot the pickup truck that turnes onto the runway and comes toward us just as we're lifting. Got lucky there I guess. A few seconds later and we may have been in trouble.
As I view these on YouTube, I'm noticing a lot of variation in quality, from almost as good as the original, to really grainy and not much fun to watch. Hopefully that's a function of my internet connection, and not an actual degradation.
I'll get you a picture of my "mount" Walter, although I haven't been able to post any pics here directly, so maybe it will be a YouTube vid. It's currently just taped onto the top of the dash, but I was thinking of trying the top cross beam like you. Boy, It's neat having your phone mounted right in front of you like that. You can do a lot.
Jesse

irishfield

Post by irishfield » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:29 pm

I find many times on Youtube you have to go to the "wheel" and reselect HD.. many times it goes to 360 on it's own.