Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Anti-Corrosion Options

General building discussions, not model specific.
DocBaker

Re: Anti-Corrosion Options

Post by DocBaker » Fri May 31, 2013 4:00 pm

Good idea! For those really hard to get at areas a wand works good. I was thinking about rigging up garden sprayer or some sort of easy to buy sprayer and making a long wand from an old pressure washer wand. Right now, I primed the whole internal surfaces of the tail structures and will prime all the mating surfaces. If I ever decide to fly near the ocean or on saltwater, I will spray Corrosion X in the wings and tail area.

Lindall
Lindall
Amphib 729R
SPA Field Director MO & AR

mfjrebel007r

Post by mfjrebel007r » Fri May 31, 2013 5:27 pm

you guys should check out Everbrite, it woks great and seems to last forever without the mess and does not restrict painting in the future

mike#007

Rebel541

Post by Rebel541 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:22 pm

DocBaker wrote:Good idea! For those really hard to get at areas a wand works good. I was thinking about rigging up garden sprayer or some sort of easy to buy sprayer and making a long wand from an old pressure washer wand. Right now, I primed the whole internal surfaces of the tail structures and will prime all the mating surfaces. If I ever decide to fly near the ocean or on saltwater, I will spray Corrosion X in the wings and tail area.

Lindall
G'day Guys !

So - WHERE is the best place to buy "Corrosion X" in bulk - for spraying then ???

( I see that AS&S has aerosol cans .... But I didn't see any "bulk containers" if it anywhere !?! )
( mind you - I'm renowned for having "boy looks" as She who must be obeyed" keeps pointing out ... :-(

Biggus
Rick "Biggus" Harper in OZ
Kits 541 & 432

snowyriver

Post by snowyriver » Fri May 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Randy,

From my experience you're safe fogging the inside. A little goes a long way, for sure. As usual, I used way more than I needed to. I think I was lucky to get paint to adhere. I pressure washed, blew everything with air (especially rivets) and sprayed primer as soon as I was sure it was dry. II was hoping that'd seal it. Nope. I have seen it seeping out of rivets and joined areas. I guess that's why it's so good.
Craig Walls
Retired Firefighter
Flying as of September 2011

Ken

Post by Ken » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:32 am

Corrosion-X and ACF-50 seem to be pretty much equivalent and both are available by the gallon. One of these products is usually stocked by most aircraft suppliers last time I looked. I used much less than a quart for the entire airframe 7 years ago. The little sprayer that the corrosion-x folks sell works very well especially if you also purchase the 6 foot extension wand. The little wand will go in through a 1/8" hole for small areas but a bit larger works better for large areas. I left 3/16" holes with a removeable plastic plug in all the subfloor compartments.

For salt water I would prefer epoxy chromate on the interior surfaces as the first anti-corrosion measure but this stuff is very good for after construction treatment and it lasts for several years for me. Corrosion is always worst any where that moisture can reside between two joints and this stuff is the only sure fire way to keep that under control even if epoxy chromate was also applied. Similar is true for automobiles in that if there is not some kind of creepable oil between joints, they will collect moisture and corrode in humid climates.

Ken

Elite773

Post by Elite773 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:33 am

G'day Guys !

So - WHERE is the best place to buy "Corrosion X" in bulk - for spraying then ???

( I see that AS&S has aerosol cans .... But I didn't see any "bulk containers" if it anywhere !?! )
( mind you - I'm renowned for having "boy looks" as She who must be obeyed" keeps pointing out ... :-(

Biggus[/quote]

Peers she may have a point.....
If you click on buy it will give you a choice of size of container.

Bob.

Rebel541

Post by Rebel541 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:46 pm

Elite773 wrote:G'day Guys !

Biggus
Peers she may have a point.....
If you click on buy it will give you a choice of size of container.

Bob.[/quote]

Ta Guys ! :lol:

Ken was saying that ACF 50 is pretty much identical .............. and THAT stuff IS "commonly / commercially available" here in sunny OZ ! :mrgreen:

Big
Rick "Biggus" Harper in OZ
Kits 541 & 432

LittleAdvCo

Post by LittleAdvCo » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Thanks to everyone for the replies!
Suffice to say I'm busy drilling now...decided to carry on with my original plan of disassembling in order to prime the interior. Going to work through the pieces starting at the tail, and if some miraculous new info comes my way between now and the wings, I could change course before tackling them. There's just no way I'll stop wondering about salt water getting a chance to linger where I can't wash it off or see it.

Sean
Sean Smith