Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

is this where we post general bs?

General building discussions, not model specific.
Coastflyer

is this where we post general bs?

Post by Coastflyer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:06 pm

Having seperation anxiety not getting my daily dose of the builders list so I thought I would see who is out there. This seems like it will be a great site once we learn how to use it, but are we going to miss the general sense of community that we had with the list if each post is relegated to a separate catagory?
Hopefully it won't discourage people from posting stuff that doesn't fit into one of the airframe catagories. That was a good way to organize photo archives, but not so sure it will work as well for discussion.
Jesse

tedwaltman

Re: is this where we post general bs?

Post by tedwaltman » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:26 pm

I think we can post BS just about anywhere (g)

mikefairbanks
Site Admin

Post by mikefairbanks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:27 pm

That's the beauty of a forum, we can structure it pretty much any way we want... if the consensus is to lump things together more or complete, then we can. I thought breaking things apart like this would make it easier to find what you're looking for in the future. The search function works very well... but if you search the site right now for "tailwheel", you get 1450 hits... well, I guess it would 1451 now.
Mike Davis
Fairbanks, Alaska
"I'd rather be flying!"

Coastflyer

Post by Coastflyer » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:35 pm

I guess my thought was that It's such a relatively small group that we might get all diluted, but I guess if you just look at the new posts section then you won't miss anything. Any bs that is;)
Jesse

tjhickey

Post by tjhickey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:06 pm

Coastflyer wrote:Having seperation anxiety not getting my daily dose of the builders list so I thought I would see who is out there. This seems like it will be a great site once we learn how to use it, but are we going to miss the general sense of community that we had with the list if each post is relegated to a separate catagory?
Hopefully it won't discourage people from posting stuff that doesn't fit into one of the airframe catagories. That was a good way to organize photo archives, but not so sure it will work as well for discussion.

I think that this guy has a point. Let the messages flow out as they flow in.

Tim Hickey
R808
Tim Hickey
Montrose, Iowa
319 795-2684

mikefairbanks
Site Admin

Post by mikefairbanks » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:15 pm

tjhickey wrote:

I think that this guy has a point. Let the messages flow out as they flow in.

Tim Hickey
R808
Not sure what you mean by that Tim... all messages are set to get emailed out already, I've got a poll setup that you should see as one of the new posts asking whether folks prefer all the text in the email, or just the subject and a link.

If I'm missing what you're saying here, please feel free to elaborate.
Mike Davis
Fairbanks, Alaska
"I'd rather be flying!"

tjhickey

Post by tjhickey » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:32 pm

Maybe I had better wait until I gain some experience with how the new system works.

Tim
Tim Hickey
Montrose, Iowa
319 795-2684

Breitbach

Post by Breitbach » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:04 am

Coastflyer wrote:I guess my thought was that It's such a relatively small group that we might get all diluted, but I guess if you just look at the new posts section then you won't miss anything. Any bs that is;)
I agree to coastflyer. Separating the messages into so many different folders makes it hard to follow. A general discussion in this small group is much better.
The good search functions helps to find messages later that I want to look after.

Nevertheless I enjoyed the listserv in the past. Having the messages in my inbox is much more convenient than getting notifications and then actively having to look into the forum. Especially from Mobiles like Blackberry, having email is better.

@Mike: Is there no possibility to include a mail like gnumail or others to send the message out again?

Thomas
433R
http://rebel.tbreitbach.de

mikefairbanks
Site Admin

Post by mikefairbanks » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:04 am

Breitbach wrote:@Mike: Is there no possibility to include a mail like gnumail or others to send the message out again?

Thomas
433R
http://rebel.tbreitbach.de
Well now that folks are posting, I'm sure you're all seeing that you do get email for every message. Don't forget to vote in the poll I created in the General Chat forum, telling me whether you want the complete message text in that email, or just the topic subject, with a link to the message on the board. Only 18 folks have voted so far.
Mike Davis
Fairbanks, Alaska
"I'd rather be flying!"