Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

[rebel-builders] Re: Just Get it Flying/Toronto Rebels

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Jesse Jenks

Post by Jesse Jenks » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi everyone, I am up visiting your great country. I'm in a Twin Otter Training course at the Downsview airport, spitting distance from the D.H. factory. I wish I would have posted sooner, as I could have come out last weekend to see Jim's plane. I am here a few more days, and wondered if there are any local Rebels? I would love to meet any of you.
Jesse> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:35:52 -0400> Subject: [rebel-builders] Re: Just Get it Flying> From: jcole@rangroup.com> To: rebel-builders@dcsol.com> > Well I couldn't help but think of those words today "just get it flying" as> I contemplated what to do next with my Rebel. I went to Downsview last> weekend and was fortunate or unfortunate enough (depending on your point of> view) to park beside a beautifully restored Waco from Vintage Wings in> Gatineau. The Waco had a beautiful paint job and there was mine - looking a> little incomplete.> > But...... tomorrow is the first anniversary and I've been fortunate enough> to put 166 hours on the Rebel - been to the West coast and Florida - enjoyed> flying with some great people and generally I have trouble staying on the> ground. I still have a list of things to do and I'm not sure if I can be> without - while I get it painted, but I am starting to feel that that is> next. > > Now I raced to get mine finished last year because Bob was orga
nizing his> "last rambl
e
" to the west coast and I really wanted to fly through the> mountains, for the first time, with someone that had done it before.> Well I guess Bob and Anna aren't finished yet!!! (He was just kidding)> > I look forward to meeting other pilots and co-pilots on our ramble to Quebec> City and beyond in just over a month - wow just over a month.> > So - "just get it flying"> > Cheers> Jim Rebel 333 > > > On 6/1/2008 6:34 PM, "Mike Kimball" <mkimball@gci.net> wrote:> > > Ya gotta hold your tongue just right and cue up your best curses. I started> > by temporarily pinning the flaps and ailerons on the wing with overlong 3/16> > bolts without the bushings. Then I worked on each bolt/bushing one at a> > time. I also took some extra time to custom size each bushing length> > (measure, trial and error) and I have absolutely no side to side play. Once> > it's all together don't panic like I did when you discover that your> > ailerons are floppy, allowing a bunch of play. For instance, if you tie
the> > stick down tight

and can still move the aileron up and down 2 or 3 inches> > (or even more from others I've heard about) with your hand, believe it or> > not that is normal for a SR/Moose and it flies just fine.> > > > Mike> > 044SR > > > > -----Original Message-----> > From: mike.davis@dcsol.com [mailto:mike.davis@dcsol.com] On Behalf Of Ron> > Shannon> > Sent: Saturday, May 31, 2008 8:56 PM> > To: rebel-builders@dcsol.com> > Subject: Re: [rebel-builders] Moose aileron & flap install> > > > Hi Ted,> > > > This PITA has been discussed before, at least with respect to the Rebel,> > where it's equally difficult. There was some discussion back when I did> > this, not too long ago -- perhaps Nov.-Dec. You might search the archives on> > "spacers" "cotter pin" or such. I'll see if I can track it down.> > > > I ended up using a small hemostat to carefully put washers on the bolts (you> > may need more than one washer to align the castle nuts properly, of course)> > and a small "cylinder" of masking tape on t
he end of a finger to h
o
ld the> > nut up against the bolt inside the hole. As you may know, on the Rebel, both> > ends of the center bolt have to be manipulated through the little 1" holes.> > For getting the bolts in place, through bushings and all, there's no> > substitute for a helper, preferably someone more patient than you are.> > > > For getting at the nut(s), I found a set of small ignition wrenches was the> > only way, though on the outboard end bolts, where you can get at the bolt> > head outside, I turned that and just help the nut. With the center bolt on> > the Rebel, I tried to just hold the nut there as perpendicular to the end of> > the bolt as possible, until I could pretzel over to get a teeny ignition> > wrench on the bolt head, turning it a half a flat at a time until it got> > started on the threads. Sheesh!> > > > A needle nose pliers is essential for the cotter pin installation, one with> > a 45 deg. nose probably being best. Get the pin started in the hole with the> > needle nose, then
turn the bolt from the

head about 45 deg., and start to> > push the cotter pin's "leaves" apart with a small screwdriver blade, at> > least enough to keep the cotter pin from falling out. (Plan ahead for these> > angles.) Then turn the bolt head the rest of the way to where you can finish> > the cotter pin leave spreading with the screwdriver or whatever works. It's> > good to practice with a nut and bolt outside in fresh air to get the cotter> > pin leaf lengths trimmed just right -- usually different for each leaf if> > you're going over the top of the bolt longitudinally, per AC-43.> > > > A couple of times I dropped a cotter pin inside. I was very luck to fish> > them out before they skidded between flaperon fabric and stringer with a> > small right angle pick.> > > > No doubt, others will chime in here. The funny part is imagining that the> > Rebel was originally sold as being trailerable, with easily removable wings.> > Hilarious. :-) I dread taking them off again for painting someday.> > > > Good luck
..> > > > Ron> > > > > >

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Ted Waltman <tedwaltman@i1ci.com> wrote:> > > >> Must be some trick that several of us didn't figure out when trying to get> >> bolts, nuts, washers, spacers and even cotter pins in those WAY TOO SMALL> >> access holes in the aileron and flaps. Anyone have any particular tool(s)> >> and techniques that they can share? Took several of us 2+ hours to get> > one> >> aileron installed today-and we didn't even put in cotter pins yet! There> >> has to be a better way? I'm heading to the tool store tomorrow to see if> >> an> >> combination of other wrenches/adapters might seem like good ideas.> >> > >> > >> > >> How can something that at face value seems so easy take so long <grin>?> >> > >> > >> > >> Tips/Tricks/Ideas anyone?> >> > >> > >> > >> Ted> >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> -----------------------------------------------------------------> >> List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> >> username "rebel" password "builder"> >> Unsubs
cribe: rebel-builders-u
n
subscribe@dcsol.com> >> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >> -----------------------------------------------------------------> >> > >> > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> > username "rebel" password "builder"> > Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> > List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > > > > > > > > > > > > > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> > username "rebel" password "builder"> > Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> > List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > > > > > > > > > > > > > -----------------------------------------------------------------> List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.co
m/login> username "rebe
l
" password "builder"> Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> -----------------------------------------------------------------> > >

Jim Cole

Post by Jim Cole » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Hi Jesse, where are you staying and for how long? I'm sure we can arrange
something.

Cheers
Jim 333

On 6/2/08 10:17 AM, "Jesse Jenks" <jessejenks@hotmail.com> wrote:
Hi everyone, I am up visiting your great country. I'm in a Twin Otter Training
course at the Downsview airport, spitting distance from the D.H. factory. I
wish I would have posted sooner, as I could have come out last weekend to see
Jim's plane. I am here a few more days, and wondered if there are any local
Rebels? I would love to meet any of you.
Jesse> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:35:52 -0400> Subject: [rebel-builders] Re:
Just Get it Flying> From: jcole@rangroup.com> To: rebel-builders@dcsol.com> >
Well I couldn't help but think of those words today "just get it flying" as> I
contemplated what to do next with my Rebel. I went to Downsview last> weekend
and was fortunate or unfortunate enough (depending on your point of> view) to
park beside a beautifully restored Waco from Vintage Wings in> Gatineau. The
Waco had a beautiful paint job and there was mine - looking a> little
incomplete.> > But...... tomorrow is the first anniversary and I've been
fortunate enough> to put 166 hours on the Rebel - been to the West coast and
Florida - enjoyed> flying with some great people and generally I have trouble
staying on the> ground. I still have a list of things to do and I'm not sure
if I can be> without - while I get it painted, but I am starting to feel that
that is> next. > > Now I raced to get mine finished last year because Bo
b
was organizing his> "last rambl
e
" to the west coast and I really wanted to fly through the> mountains, for the
first time, with someone that had done it before.> Well I guess Bob and Anna
aren't finished yet!!! (He was just kidding)> > I look forward to meeting
other pilots and co-pilots on our ramble to Quebec> City and beyond in just
over a month - wow just over a month.> > So - "just get it flying"> > Cheers>
Jim Rebel 333 > > > On 6/1/2008 6:34 PM, "Mike Kimball" <mkimball@gci.net>
wrote:> > > Ya gotta hold your tongue just right and cue up your best curses.
I started> > by temporarily pinning the flaps and ailerons on the wing with
overlong 3/16> > bolts without the bushings. Then I worked on each
bolt/bushing one at a> > time. I also took some extra time to custom size each
bushing length> > (measure, trial and error) and I have absolutely no side to
side play. Once> > it's all together don't panic like I did when you discover
that your> > ailerons are floppy, allowing a bunch of play. For instance, i
f
you tie the> > stick down tight

and can still move the aileron up and down 2 or 3 inches> > (or even more from
others I've heard about) with your hand, believe it or> > not that is normal
for a SR/Moose and it flies just fine.> > > > Mike> > 044SR > > > >
-----Original Message-----> > From: mike.davis@dcsol.com
[mailto:mike.davis@dcsol.com] On Behalf Of Ron> > Shannon> > Sent: Saturday,
May 31, 2008 8:56 PM> > To: rebel-builders@dcsol.com> > Subject: Re:
[rebel-builders] Moose aileron & flap install> > > > Hi Ted,> > > > This PITA
has been discussed before, at least with respect to the Rebel,> > where it's
equally difficult. There was some discussion back when I did> > this, not too
long ago -- perhaps Nov.-Dec. You might search the archives on> > "spacers"
"cotter pin" or such. I'll see if I can track it down.> > > > I ended up using
a small hemostat to carefully put washers on the bolts (you> > may need more
than one washer to align the castle nuts properly, of course)> > and a small
"cylinder" of masking

tape on the end of a finger to h
o
ld the> > nut up against the bolt inside the hole. As you may know, on the
Rebel, both> > ends of the center bolt have to be manipulated through the
little 1" holes.> > For getting the bolts in place, through bushings and all,
there's no> > substitute for a helper, preferably someone more patient than
you are.> > > > For getting at the nut(s), I found a set of small ignition
wrenches was the> > only way, though on the outboard end bolts, where you can
get at the bolt> > head outside, I turned that and just help the nut. With the
center bolt on> > the Rebel, I tried to just hold the nut there as
perpendicular to the end of> > the bolt as possible, until I could pretzel
over to get a teeny ignition> > wrench on the bolt head, turning it a half a
flat at a time until it got> > started on the threads. Sheesh!> > > > A needle
nose pliers is essential for the cotter pin installation, one with> > a 45
deg. nose probably being best. Get the pin started in the hole with the> >
needle
n
ose, then turn the bolt from the

head about 45 deg., and start to> > push the cotter pin's "leaves" apart with
a small screwdriver blade, at> > least enough to keep the cotter pin from
falling out. (Plan ahead for these> > angles.) Then turn the bolt head the
rest of the way to where you can finish> > the cotter pin leave spreading with
the screwdriver or whatever works. It's> > good to practice with a nut and
bolt outside in fresh air to get the cotter> > pin leaf lengths trimmed just
right -- usually different for each leaf if> > you're going over the top of
the bolt longitudinally, per AC-43.> > > > A couple of times I dropped a
cotter pin inside. I was very luck to fish> > them out before they skidded
between flaperon fabric and stringer with a> > small right angle pick.> > > >
No doubt, others will chime in here. The funny part is imagining that the> >
Rebel was originally sold as being trailerable, with easily removable wings.>
Hilarious. :-) I dread taking them off again for painting someday.> > > >
Good luck.> > > > Ron> > > > > >

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Ted Waltman <tedwaltman@i1ci.com> wrote:> > >
Must be some trick that several of us didn't figure out when trying to get>
bolts, nuts, washers, spacers and even cotter pins in those WAY TOO SMALL>
access holes in the aileron and flaps. Anyone have any particular tool(s)>
and techniques that they can share? Took several of us 2+ hours to get> >
one> >> aileron installed today-and we didn't even put in cotter pins yet!
There> >> has to be a better way? I'm heading to the tool store tomorrow to
see if> >> an> >> combination of other wrenches/adapters might seem like good
ideas.> >> > >> > >> > >> How can something that at face value seems so easy
take so long <grin>?> >> > >> > >> > >> Tips/Tricks/Ideas anyone?> >> > >> >
-----------------------------------------------------------------> >> List
archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> >> username "rebel"
password "builder">
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-u
n
subscribe@dcsol.com> >> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >>
-----------------------------------------------------------------> >> > >> >
-----------------------------------------------------------------> > List
archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> > username "rebel" password
"builder"> > Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> > List
administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >
-----------------------------------------------------------------> > > > > > >
-----------------------------------------------------------------> > List
archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> > username "rebel" password
"builder"> > Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> > List
administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >
-----------------------------------------------------------------> > > > > > >
-----------------------------------------------------------------> List
archives located at: https://mai
l
.dcsol.com/login> username "rebe
l
" password "builder"> Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> List
administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com>
-----------------------------------------------------------------> > >

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com

List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com

Jesse Jenks

Post by Jesse Jenks » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Jim,
I guess there won't be time. We are going home thursday afternoon. Was planning to have a day off friday, but we are finishing up early. I'll have to catch you next time. I'll be back next year.
Thanks anyway.
Jesse> Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 08:11:04 -0400> Subject: Re: [rebel-builders] Re: Just Get it Flying/Toronto Rebels> From: jcole@rangroup.com> To: rebel-builders@dcsol.com> > Hi Jesse, where are you staying and for how long? I'm sure we can arrange> something.> > Cheers> Jim 333> > > On 6/2/08 10:17 AM, "Jesse Jenks" <jessejenks@hotmail.com> wrote:> > > > > Hi everyone, I am up visiting your great country. I'm in a Twin Otter Training> > course at the Downsview airport, spitting distance from the D.H. factory. I> > wish I would have posted sooner, as I could have come out last weekend to see> > Jim's plane. I am here a few more days, and wondered if there are any local> > Rebels? I would love to meet any of you.> > Jesse> Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 19:35:52 -0400> Subject: [rebel-builders] Re:> > Just Get it Flying> From: jcole@rangroup.com> To: rebel-builders@dcsol.com> >> > Well I couldn't help but think of those words today "just get it flying" as> I> > contemplated what to do next with my
Rebel. I went to Downsv
i
ew last> weekend> > and was fortunate or unfortunate enough (depending on your point of> view) to> > park beside a beautifully restored Waco from Vintage Wings in> Gatineau. The> > Waco had a beautiful paint job and there was mine - looking a> little> > incomplete.> > But...... tomorrow is the first anniversary and I've been> > fortunate enough> to put 166 hours on the Rebel - been to the West coast and> > Florida - enjoyed> flying with some great people and generally I have trouble> > staying on the> ground. I still have a list of things to do and I'm not sure> > if I can be> without - while I get it painted, but I am starting to feel that> > that is> next. > > Now I raced to get mine finished last year because Bo> > b> > was organizing his> "last rambl> > e> > " to the west coast and I really wanted to fly through the> mountains, for the> > first time, with someone that had done it before.> Well I guess Bob and Anna> > aren't finished yet!!! (He was just kidding)> > I look forward to
meeting> > other pilot
s
and co-pilots on our ramble to Quebec> City and beyond in just> > over a month - wow just over a month.> > So - "just get it flying"> > Cheers>> > Jim Rebel 333 > > > On 6/1/2008 6:34 PM, "Mike Kimball" <mkimball@gci.net>> > wrote:> > > Ya gotta hold your tongue just right and cue up your best curses.> > I started> > by temporarily pinning the flaps and ailerons on the wing with> > overlong 3/16> > bolts without the bushings. Then I worked on each> > bolt/bushing one at a> > time. I also took some extra time to custom size each> > bushing length> > (measure, trial and error) and I have absolutely no side to> > side play. Once> > it's all together don't panic like I did when you discover> > that your> > ailerons are floppy, allowing a bunch of play. For instance, i> > f> > you tie the> > stick down tight> > > > and can still move the aileron up and down 2 or 3 inches> > (or even more from> > others I've heard about) with your hand, believe it or> > not that is normal> > for a SR/Moose
and it flies just fine.
Mike> > 044SR > > > >> > -----Original Message-----> > From: mike.davis@dcsol.com> > [mailto:mike.davis@dcsol.com] On Behalf Of Ron> > Shannon> > Sent: Saturday,> > May 31, 2008 8:56 PM> > To: rebel-builders@dcsol.com> > Subject: Re:> > [rebel-builders] Moose aileron & flap install> > > > Hi Ted,> > > > This PITA> > has been discussed before, at least with respect to the Rebel,> > where it's> > equally difficult. There was some discussion back when I did> > this, not too> > long ago -- perhaps Nov.-Dec. You might search the archives on> > "spacers"> > "cotter pin" or such. I'll see if I can track it down.> > > > I ended up using> > a small hemostat to carefully put washers on the bolts (you> > may need more> > than one washer to align the castle nuts properly, of course)> > and a small> > "cylinder" of masking> > > > tape on the end of a finger to h> > o> > ld the> > nut up against the bolt inside the hole. As you may know, on the> > Rebel, both> > ends of the center bolt have t
o be manipulated throug
h
the> > little 1" holes.> > For getting the bolts in place, through bushings and all,> > there's no> > substitute for a helper, preferably someone more patient than> > you are.> > > > For getting at the nut(s), I found a set of small ignition> > wrenches was the> > only way, though on the outboard end bolts, where you can> > get at the bolt> > head outside, I turned that and just help the nut. With the> > center bolt on> > the Rebel, I tried to just hold the nut there as> > perpendicular to the end of> > the bolt as possible, until I could pretzel> > over to get a teeny ignition> > wrench on the bolt head, turning it a half a> > flat at a time until it got> > started on the threads. Sheesh!> > > > A needle> > nose pliers is essential for the cotter pin installation, one with> > a 45> > deg. nose probably being best. Get the pin started in the hole with the> >> > needle > > n> > ose, then turn the bolt from the> > > > head about 45 deg., and start to> > push the cotter pin's "leaves" ap
art with> > a small scr
e
wdriver blade, at> > least enough to keep the cotter pin from> > falling out. (Plan ahead for these> > angles.) Then turn the bolt head the> > rest of the way to where you can finish> > the cotter pin leave spreading with> > the screwdriver or whatever works. It's> > good to practice with a nut and> > bolt outside in fresh air to get the cotter> > pin leaf lengths trimmed just> > right -- usually different for each leaf if> > you're going over the top of> > the bolt longitudinally, per AC-43.> > > > A couple of times I dropped a> > cotter pin inside. I was very luck to fish> > them out before they skidded> > between flaperon fabric and stringer with a> > small right angle pick.> > > >> > No doubt, others will chime in here. The funny part is imagining that the> >> > Rebel was originally sold as being trailerable, with easily removable wings.>> > > Hilarious. :-) I dread taking them off again for painting someday.> > > >> > > > Good luck.> > > > Ron> > > > > >> > > > On Sat, May 31, 200
8 at 8:32 PM, Ted Waltm
a
n <tedwaltman@i1ci.com> wrote:> > >> > >> Must be some trick that several of us didn't figure out when trying to get>> > >> bolts, nuts, washers, spacers and even cotter pins in those WAY TOO SMALL>> > >> access holes in the aileron and flaps. Anyone have any particular tool(s)>> > >> and techniques that they can share? Took several of us 2+ hours to get> >> > one> >> aileron installed today-and we didn't even put in cotter pins yet!> > There> >> has to be a better way? I'm heading to the tool store tomorrow to> > see if> >> an> >> combination of other wrenches/adapters might seem like good> > ideas.> >> > >> > >> > >> How can something that at face value seems so easy> > take so long <grin>?> >> > >> > >> > >> Tips/Tricks/Ideas anyone?> >> > >> >> > >> > >> Ted> >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >> > >>> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> >> List> > archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> >> username "rebel"> > password "builder">> > > >>> Unsu
bscribe: rebel-builders
-
u> > n> > subscribe@dcsol.com> >> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >>> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> >> > >> >> > >> > >> > > > > > > > > > >> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > List> > archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> > username "rebel" password> > "builder"> > Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> > List> > administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > List> > archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> > username "rebel" password> > "builder"> > Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> > List> > administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> >> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------------------------------
--------> List> > archi
v
es located at: https://mai> > l> > .dcsol.com/login> username "rebe> > l> > " password "builder"> Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> List> > administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com>> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > >> > _________________________________________________________________> > Change the world with e-mail. Join the i‚m Initiative from Microsoft.> > http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/Join/De ... hangeWorld> > > > > > > > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> > username "rebel" password "builder"> > Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> > List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> > -----------------------------------------------------------------> > > > > > > > > > > > > > -----------------------------------------------------------------> List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login> username "rebel
" password "builder"> U
n
subscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com> List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com> -----------------------------------------------------------------> > >