Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Subject line - 1 list, or 3

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Mike Davis

Post by Mike Davis » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Well I've just put in a request with the software designer to add the option to insert a "subject line tag"... ideally this would take the subject of "tail wheel" entered by a list member and change it to "[Rebel] tail wheel" based on the configuration of the list.

This would give me a number of options to work with, but each presents its own logistical issues...

My first thoughts where to configure 3 separate lists using 1 storage conference, or archive, which means that any message posted to any of the 3 lists, would be sent out to all members of all 3 lists. The benefits of this configuration are that the tagging method described above would be tied to the list the post was made to, so would reflect the model specific to the post, yet everyone would still get all the message traffic, and we'd still have one central archive for searches.

The problem with this configuration is that you'd only want to be signed up for one list, or you'd get 3 copies of each message posted... not desirable. The gotcha with only belonging to one list comes when you hit reply to a message that was posted to a different list originally... now, since you're not a member of that list, the server rejects your reply... just as undesirable.

OK, so the way around this is to use 3 separate storage conferences (archives) for the 3 different lists. This adds the benefit of being able to sign up for just one list and receive only mail to that one list, or being able to sign up for multiple lists and getting mail from them all. Additionally, if you receive the message, then you're a member of the list it was posted to, and you can simply hit reply and your message is going to be accepted. The down side here is 3 separate archives to search through when looking for a past discussion, and folks potentially missing information that is pertinent if they're not subscribed to all three lists.

All these issues are one of the reasons I personally like the single list. Entering an appropriate subject with your messages can make the single list very manageable even for individuals not interested in reading mail about other models than their own... but unfortunately, that requires each member to stay on top of that... and that just doesn't happen, even I forget to update the subject line more often than not.

So for now, everything will stay just like it is... if I get some updates to the software that allow more flexibility, then we'll discuss the options again and go from there.

Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Aldrich

Post by Scott Aldrich » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:23 pm

Like you said we are all guilty of not updating the subject line or putting
the aircaft. We tried the header and the footer to remind us and that got