Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

spring gear: front of inserts too long?

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Dan Morehouse

Post by Dan Morehouse » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Hey Alister!

I've drilled the three holes in each of the inserts in the horizontal plane in the right front and right rear carrythroughs. I can place bolts all the way through connecting the two inserts. Yippee! But the front carrythrough is angled in so the frontmost edge is ~1" shorter than the rear edge, to allow the tapered corner panels clearance (Unfortunately, I followed MAM's advice and did the same for the rear carrythroughs). So I put the tapered corner wraps back on and sure enough the inserts don't allow clearance. The way it looks, I'd have to taper the front part of the insert close to the same way as the existing taper of the carrythrough. That would take out the outer insert hole, leaving the inner two.

This problem may be more pronounced in ones (like mine) that have the firewall cut back.

I'll upload a few pics to Chucks' site when I can outsmart the camera software again.

Take care,
Dan

Lonnie Benson

Post by Lonnie Benson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Dan:

I had to shape the outer ends of my inserts to match the shape of the corner wrap. I did it on the belt sander. I had saved the corner pieces that were cut off the front carrythrough so I used them as spacers between the insert and some gussets I made. I added stainless steel gussets to the vertical sides of the carrythroughs. They are a bit longer than the distance between the inner and outer bolts. The bolts now go through the gusset, then the two carrythroughs, and the gusset on the far side. You can use Alum. for the gussets. I sent pictures to Mike Davis but I have not seen them on the site pictures.

Lonnie
-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Morehouse <DanMorehouse@home.com (DanMorehouse@home.com)>
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com) <murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)>
Date: Sunday, October 17, 1999 9:51 PM
Subject: spring gear: front of inserts too long?

Hey Alister!

I've drilled the three holes in each of the inserts in the horizontal plane in the right front and right rear carrythroughs. I can place bolts all the way through connecting the two inserts. Yippee! But the front carrythrough is angled in so the frontmost edge is ~1" shorter than the rear edge, to allow the tapered corner panels clearance (Unfortunately, I followed MAM's advice and did the same for the rear carrythroughs). So I put the tapered corner wraps back on and sure enough the inserts don't allow clearance. The way it looks, I'd have to taper the front part of the insert close to the same way as the existing taper of the carrythrough. That would take out the outer insert hole, leaving the inner two.

This problem may be more pronounced in ones (like mine) that have the firewall cut back.

I'll upload a few pics to Chucks' site when I can outsmart the camera software again.

Take care,
Dan