Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Tip mounted landing lights

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Bill Delcambre

Post by Bill Delcambre » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

After the muddling, I've got the wingtip situation sorted out, thanks to the assistance of you guys.

When I got home, yesterday evening, my tip mounted landing light kit had arrived. (don't you love it when boxes of parts greet you!) I'll have to admit it; I thought the kits to be a bit pricey, but, hey, I did the "as long as" routine, and ordered them. Upon examination, however, I am absolutely floored with the quality and completeness (?) of the kit. These things almost qualify as "art". Even the instructions are complete. The price is reasonable.

Figured I'd share the opinion, in case anyone was wondering about that price.

Bill Delcambre
172SR fast build

S & L Aldrich

Post by S & L Aldrich » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Hi Bill, I am on the wing tips now but the ribs for that happen to be one of the dozen or so things that are on back order so we can not proceed. I was only looking at my right wing when I was thinking of the nut plates or the clip nuts. Didn't realize there was no lip on the left wing due to ribs all being the same.

Good to hear the lights are nice. I will still probably make my own, not sure though.

Scott
#174SR
-----Original Message-----
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of Bill Delcambre
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 8:21 AM
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com
Subject: Tip mounted landing lights

After the muddling, I've got the wingtip situation sorted out, thanks to the assistance of you guys.

When I got home, yesterday evening, my tip mounted landing light kit had arrived. (don't you love it when boxes of parts greet you!) I'll have to admit it; I thought the kits to be a bit pricey, but, hey, I did the "as long as" routine, and ordered them. Upon examination, however, I am absolutely floored with the quality and completeness (?) of the kit. These things almost qualify as "art". Even the instructions are complete. The price is reasonable.

Bill Delcambre
172SR fast build

Bill Delcambre

Post by Bill Delcambre » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

You know, I was wondering about the clipnuts. I didn't want to sound foolish, by asking how that was to be done, but it sure didn't look easy, to me. I think I'm just gonna do as Al suggested, and make a nice, big inspection panel, and rivet the things on. As long as I can hook up lights and get to the strobe power supplies, I don't see the need to remove the tips.

Bill
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 3:13 PM
Subject: RE: Tip mounted landing lights

Hi Bill, I am on the wing tips now but the ribs for that happen to be one of the dozen or so things that are on back order so we can not proceed. I was only looking at my right wing when I was thinking of the nut plates or the clip nuts. Didn't realize there was no lip on the left wing due to ribs all being the same.

Good to hear the lights are nice. I will still probably make my own, not sure though.

Scott
#174SR
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of Bill Delcambre

Bill Delcambre
172SR fast build

Wayne G. O'Shea

Post by Wayne G. O'Shea » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:21 pm

You can use clipnuts on both wings. On one wing the clip nut is installed over the whole thing (rib and skin) and on the other side, where the flange faces inward, it is installed from inside the wing and slipped between the rib and the wing skin (prior to riveting them together is best!)

Cheers,
Wayne
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 4:13 PM
Subject: RE: Tip mounted landing lights

Scott
#174SR

Bill Delcambre
172SR fast build