Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

NICO swaging for 1/8" cables

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Wayne G. O'Shea

NICO swaging for 1/8" cables

Post by Wayne G. O'Shea » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:17 pm

Sending again with proper subject for archives!

----- Original Message ----- From: Wayne G. O'Shea (oifa@irishfield.on.ca)
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: Bush/STOL characteristics?

Congratulations on passing your final "exam" Bruce! Good luck with your test flying!!!!!!!! :>)

Ken is right though, all publications regarding cable fabrication, that I have read, specify 3 swages on an 1/8" NICO sleeve. First you clip the points off the thimble, assemble and make the first press in the middle, 2nd press at the end against the thimble and finally another press at the other end. Lots of room using the proper swaging tools and since the NICO grows from about 9/16 to 3/4" while you are squashing it you could actually get 4 squeezes on the thing but that would totally deform it. I have also seen some of the older gentlemen, that have been around aviation for 50 + years, use a second nico with 2 crimps on it as a keeper to cover the cut cable end in addition to the 3 crimped nico (but I think this is overkill). I have never seen this double nico publicized in an "official" document, although I have seen it written up in our Canadian Rec Flyer magazine by one of the older builders. Also don't forget that the aviation style swaging tool comes with those "wrenches" for a reason. They are actually check gauges to make sure the tool is set correctly and making the proper swage depth.

Your cables having only 2 crimps are PROBABLY alright considering for 3/32 cable AC43.13-1B spells out that only 1 crimp is required. If Rick is right about the Rebel in Florida, with only 1 crimp per nico, it's an air disaster just waiting to happen. I remember reading an accident report for a Rebel that, I believe, Keith Kinden was flying with a purchaser/customer that crashed after a nico let go on a cable. Maybe someone that knows Keith well could ask him how many crimps were on that sleeve!!

Cheers,
Wayne G. O'Shea
www.irishfield.on.ca
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: Bush/STOL characteristics?

Rick,

How do you get three crimps to a nicopress sleeve? The copper sleeve is long enough for only two crimps. Ate you using two sleeves? I was not aware of a required three crimps on a sleeve. You're the first I've heard suggest 3 crimps are required.

I did detect a little cynicism in your response to Ben's question on the Rebel stol capabilities. It is no secret ALL the manufacturers inflate their plane specs and build times. I suspect you had a bad day in shop. Getting tired of the building process? I can relate to that. Between family, work, friends and the plane, there is not much time left for reflection.

I have passed my FAA inspection and have scheduled first flight for July 23. It's a good feeling.

Bruce G 357R