Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Ross (and other) reduction drives

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Peter Cowan/Lexi Cameron

Post by Peter Cowan/Lexi Cameron » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 pm

-
After hearing about all the problems with the Ross units
PETE
What do you exactly mean? I'm running a Ross on a 2.2 Subaru. I've not had one problem. And was told by Ross if there ever was one it would be fixed or upgraded.
Just tell him the problem, send him the part and their would be a replacement on the way. Maybe you're talking about the bigger Cubic inch redrives? I wouldn't know about those, if their is a problem. I do know the Internet is a lot like building a plan e you can't do it on rummers or BS. Someone or there business could get hurt.
Phil&Lisa Smith
#460R
N414D All of the experiences I've heard about have come from guys FLYING Mazda rotaries that are developing 160hp and above.Most have had to make mods to their drives for better lubrication and to correct poor machining practices. People are seeing wide variations between drives. Several have pointed out the Lou Ross was good to deal with but his son Chris is not. Wasn't answering calls, shipping product etc. Yes, after some changes Tracy Crook put many hundreds of hours on his Ross but was dissatisfied enough to design and deliver a better one. ( see www.rotaryaviation.com ) He is very ethical, reliable and knowledgeable. Also markets electronic ignition and fuel injection controller. If I were buying a planetary drive it would be his. I'd prefer to buy Canadian and like the ratios and rotation on the Marcotte but have heard a caution about that company as well and it seems not many flying yet.Peter.

LisaFly99

Post by LisaFly99 » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 pm

In a message dated 10/22/01 10:28:23 PM Central Daylight Time, cowcam@pipcom.com writes:

All of the experiences I've heard about have come from guys FLYING Mazda rotaries that are developing 160hp and above.
Most have had to make mods to their drives for better lubrication and to correct poor machining practices.
PETE
Thanks for the input. My Subaru is cranking out 172 HP at 5400 rpm on take off. And cruising in the 160 HP range. I came across a little hard, but statements without back up can be so damaging on the Internet. It's like it was the holy grail or something. And it can be so damaging. And I've always had a hard time excepting FOAF reports. (Friend of a friend), I like facts.
Phil&Lisa Smith
#460R
N414D

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Peter Cowan/Lexi Cameron

Post by Peter Cowan/Lexi Cameron » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 pm

All of the experiences I've heard about have come from guys FLYING Mazda rotaries that are developing 160hp and above.
Most have had to make mods to their drives for better lubrication and to correct poor machining practices.
PETE
Thanks for the input. My Subaru is cranking out 172 HP at 5400 rpm on take off. And cruising in the 160 HP range. I came across a little hard, but statements without back up can be so damaging on the Internet. It's like it was the holy grail or something. And it can be so damaging. And I've always had a hard time excepting FOAF reports. (Friend of a friend), I like facts.
Phil&Lisa Smith
#460R
N414D Phil, what is your fuel burn in cruise?Peter.