Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

First Report

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
craig walls

First Report

Post by craig walls » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm

Hi All,

I have almost 15 hrs on the plane now and several people have asked about numbers. As far as temps, not sure how much good the numbers would do you because it's so cool up here but....I've been flying in the 55-60 degree range. In a long climb (2 min) about 85% power my oil temp was 225 once. I have an oil cooler with a air shut-off and it was closed. Generally the oil temp's been running about 210-215. CHT's are in the mid 300's and they stay there. I can't seem to reduce temps enough to worry about shock cooling during descents. Today I was flying at 90 mph at 3500' and had it leaned to 7.9 gpm with EGTS at 1380ish. If I don't lean, the 0360 drinks lots of fuel! Except for T offs and landings I plan on leaning early and often!

If you noticed, my cowl is modified and has larger air inlets than the stock speed cowl. I haven't really tried anything full performance yet...being cautious and a little nervous. I have seen 1800 fpm with power to spare and I find my self not using full throttle on take offs because it's just not necessary, Probably a bad idea. I have to trim a lot. The electric trim is slow to act and I over trim. Stalls are at 46 mph no flaps, power off and 43 with two notches. I only built it with two notches but I'm planning on adding a third. I haven't put the VG's on yet...I want to see what difference they make once I'm used to the plane as it is.

The fastest I've flown so far is 115 mph. In the pattern I have to reduce rpms to about 1250-1300 to get it to start losing altitude--not the 1500 or so I was used to to. Once it gets to about 55-60 with 2 notches it has a fast sink rate! I've found myself behind the power curve several times during base and final and luckily the 180 horses easily fixes that. Still learning.

It's an incredible feeling flying something I've built. Can't really put it to words. Everyone, keep it up! Craig

BTW, Deb and I were at the Reno air races and near as I can tell from the videos and photos we were sitting approximately 75' from the place where the P51 hit. We were in the stands and had watched every race and decided to leave early that day to beat the crowds. Makes you think!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com

Ralph Baker

first report

Post by Ralph Baker » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:55 pm

If the primer is locked my next thought would be a stuck / sunk carb float or leaking needle. That could account for a big fuel flow. :(:(
Ralph Baker

List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com