Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Moose engine choice

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Rick Byers

Moose engine choice

Post by Rick Byers » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the email group. I started a Super Rebel a few years ago, purchased the Moose Upgrade and had some down time from the building process. Plan to start up again soon and am still undecided on the M14-P or O-540 engine.
MAM has told me that I can complete the fuselage and that the Firewall will be built the same up to the engine mounting.

I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone flying Moose with O-540's and M14's on the pros and cons of each. I've read about the peculiarities of the M14 series engines as far as how they differ from the Opposed Engines for ground operations. I guess what I'm looking for is the actual performance numbers: Rate of climb, cruise speed, fuel burn. I've seen the advertised numbers but was just looking for some confirmation.

I currently fly a C-120 out of Bisbee, AZ where the field elevation is 4780 ft. and it's not uncommon to have density altitudes over 8000 ft. in the warm months. Some days I'm lucky to see 100 fpm climb rate. This is where I'm wondering about the O-540 with a gross wt airplane.

I've read about a Moose accident where a brake over centered and locked up. MAM hasn't responded to my question on that subject yet. Saw some posts by builders who didn't install the RH side brake mechanism. Is it standard practice to not install the right seat slave hardware?

Thank you.
Any answers & help is greatly appreciated.

Rick Byers
Hereford, AZ

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------