Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Rebel carburettor heat

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Ian Donaldson

Rebel carburettor heat

Post by Ian Donaldson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

G'day

Do I need carby heat on a Rotax 912?

What experience do those who have a 912 have?

Regards

Ian Donaldson

Aurele Lavigne

Rebel carburettor heat

Post by Aurele Lavigne » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Ian, mine has been flying over 500 hours with no carb heat. I have had it parked for extrended periods outside at temperatures ranging from +10C to -35C !!! and have never had any condensation in my fuel tanks. I have come accross crystals from time to time and have just drained off a little and added de-icer to the tank. I only use premium auto fuel and have only used avgas on rare occassions.

Thought I read somewhere that the 912 is fine without carb heat.

Hope this helps

Aurele
063R

P.S. thanks for the info ion bungee gear.
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 7:28 AM
Subject: Rebel carburettor heat

G'day

Do I need carby heat on a Rotax 912?

What experience do those who have a 912 have?

Regards

Ian Donaldson

Legeorgen

Rebel carburettor heat

Post by Legeorgen » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Ian,

If you ask Rotax they will tell you you need carb heat as does their engine install manual. They have to say this for insurance purposes. I didn't install carb heat and in 200 hr. I have never experienced carb heat or do I know of anyone who has eve r experienced carb heat in a 912.

The carbs are located on top and directly behind the manifolds and it has been assumed this provides enough heat to the carb assembly's to prevent formation of ice. But that's not to say it may never happen. It's your plane.

I have probably seen over 100 Kitfox's at factory fly ins with a 912 installation and I have never seen one with carb heat.

Bruce G 357R

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Wayne G. O'Shea

Rebel carburettor heat

Post by Wayne G. O'Shea » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

To add to what Bruce has just posted, I have only seen a couple of 912 installations with carb heat installed. In Canada to pass final inspection it <MUST> be installed, as it is a requirement of Chapter 549. You used to be able to supply a signed declaration from Murphy that it is not required, but lack of the installation will still be written up as a "snag" that must be signed off by the builder to remove the inspector from the liability and you must supply the paperwork to prove it's not necessary. This was back before Rotax started stating you needed Carb Heat and Leaf Inc making available a carb heat kit for the 912, so things may have changed to make it mandatory. Anyone building in the amateur built class in Canada would be wise to check with their assigned inspector prior to final inspection.

Cheers,
Wayne G. O'Shea
www.irishfield.on.ca
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: Rebel carburettor heat

Ian,

If you ask Rotax they will tell you you need carb heat as does their engine install manual. They have to say this for insurance purposes. I didn't install carb heat and in 200 hr. I have never experienced carb heat or do I know of anyone who has eve r experienced carb heat in a 912.

The carbs are located on top and directly behind the manifolds and it has been assumed this provides enough heat to the carb assembly's to prevent formation of ice. But that's not to say it may never happen. It's your plane.

I have probably seen over 100 Kitfox's at factory fly ins with a 912 installation and I have never seen one with carb heat.

Bruce G 357R