Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Master solenoid switch

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Legeorgen

Master solenoid switch

Post by Legeorgen » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

HI all,

Can anyone tell me what the trick is to get the master solenoid to switch? Are they one directional? I ran my positive battery cable across the two post's and used the small post to ground at the master switch, but I have not been able to get the switch t o operate.

I'm at a loss. It's just a switch in principle, right? The master switch is the ground wire that when turned on causes the master solenoid to operate, right? I can't get it to click. Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce G 357R

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com

Mike Davis

Master solenoid switch

Post by Mike Davis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Silly question, but I'll start with the most obvious... you do have your battery grounded to the chassis don't you? I've seen this before, and it won't work without it!

Mike
----- Original Message -----
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 8:12 PM
Subject: Re: Master solenoid switch

HI all,

Can anyone tell me what the trick is to get the master solenoid to switch? Are they one directional? I ran my positive battery cable across the two post's and used the small post to ground at the master switch, but I have not been able to get the switch t o operate.

I'm at a loss. It's just a switch in principle, right? The master switch is the ground wire that when turned on causes the master solenoid to operate, right? I can't get it to click. Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce G 357R

Legeorgen

Master solenoid switch

Yes Mike,

The battery is grounded to the airframe. The master switched is connected to the ground wire that completes the circuit and should activate the solenoid switch. Anyway, I thought that's how it was supposed to work.

Bruce G 357R

Mike Davis

Master solenoid switch

Post by Mike Davis » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

It was worth mentioning, I have seen someone spend 3 days trying to figure out why the whole electrical system worked, but the starter wouldn't turn the engine over. Turns out the only ground between the engine and the chassis was through the lord mounts... once a grounding strap was placed between the engine and the chassis it turned over just fine.

Mike
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2002 8:47 PM

Yes Mike,

The battery is grounded to the airframe. The master switched is connected to the ground wire that completes the circuit and should activate the solenoid switch. Anyway, I thought that's how it was supposed to work.

Bruce G 357R

Robert Johnson

Master solenoid switch

Post by Robert Johnson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Master switch--Try reversing the positive wires.-One side is dead until activation.

Wayne G. O'Shea

Master solenoid switch

Post by Wayne G. O'Shea » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

I think Bob's got your answer here, or else you have a bad Master (or whom ever you bought it from supplied you with an RV (rec vehicle) aux battery solenoid). The proper aircraft battery master solenoid has a specified battery lug and it is internally connected to the solenoid coil to give the positive power required to the pull in the coil. The small post on the solenoid goes though the master switch to ground to pull her in when the switch is closed. The RV style solenoid uses the EXACT same case but instead internally connects the solenoid coil to ground and requires a positive input to the small post to pull it in. With an Ohm meter you should be able to sort this out really quick as to whether you have the right style, or if the coil is not connected or defective.

Regards,
Wayne G. O'Shea
www.irishfield.on.ca
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2002 8:18 AM

Master switch--Try reversing the positive wires.-One side is dead until activation.

Legeorgen

Master solenoid switch

In a message dated 4/11/02 5:21:31 AM Pacific Daylight Time, ob.johnson@sympatico.ca writes:

Robert,

Thanks but I tried that one.

Bruce G