Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Prop 74 x 58" and Rebel "652"

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Robert Johnson

Post by Robert Johnson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

Brian, I really do not understand why that prop would be a problem. Like I said, I can not get my 160 hp to 2700 rpm unless I am in level flight and then I am reaching 160 mph indicated. I know if I go to floats I would have to go to a 56" pitch to get adequate climb. I should point out that none of the speeds I mention have been verified yet with a GPS. As far as my Rebel goes, it does have landing gear fairings (lexan per Bob P's recommendation) although aluminum would be lighter, strut fairings and fairings around my bungees. I was going to make fairings for my stabilizer strut tubes, but they are so small I can't see any advantage. The cowling is the four door aluminum construction with the std Murphy nose bowl. I really like this for ease in checking the engine compartment and also quick access when I use my manual pre-oiler. There is a picture posted under Rebel "652" in the archives. I really do like the Sensenich as I get a very smooth run and nice low idle, and if anything, I may be just slightly over pitched, but as long as it is on wheels I will not make any changes.-Bob J.

Brian & Pat Cross

Post by Brian & Pat Cross » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 pm

HI Bob

Thanks for the information. I did not get flying this weekend to recheck all the data I collected but red-lining the engine is very easy at this point. With the Warp Drive setting I used to have, I never had that issue.

I will just have to be patient & first of all find out somewhere I can get my tach accurately calibrated. However, I know by experience, that this engine has never turned that fast before. Glad that your set up is working so well. That gives me hope that just need to duplicate what you have. Obviously, the prop is OK. Somehow, maybe this prop got out the door with the incorrect pitch.

I will keep you posted.

Thanks very much again.

Brian #328R
-----Original Message-----
From: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com [mailto:murphy-rebel@dcsol.com]On Behalf Of Robert Johnson
Sent: Sunday, March 31, 2002 9:27 PM
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com
Subject: Prop 74 x 58" and Rebel "652"

Brian, I really do not understand why that prop would be a problem. Like I said, I can not get my 160 hp to 2700 rpm unless I am in level flight and then I am reaching 160 mph indicated. I know if I go to floats I would have to go to a 56" pitch to get adequate climb. I should point out that none of the speeds I mention have been verified yet with a GPS. As far as my Rebel goes, it does have landing gear fairings (lexan per Bob P's recommendation) although aluminum would be lighter, strut fairings and fairings around my bungees. I was going to make fairings for my stabilizer strut tubes, but they are so small I can't see any advantage. The cowling is the four door aluminum construction with the std Murphy nose bowl. I really like this for ease in checking the engine compartment and also quick access when I use my manual pre-oiler. There is a picture posted under Rebel "652" in the archives. I really do like the Sensenich as I get a very smooth run and nice low idle, and if anything, I may be just slightly over pitched, but as long as it is on wheels I will not make any changes.-Bob J.