Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

aileron spade mod

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
goody

aileron spade mod

Post by goody » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:00 pm

My kit was shipped Dec 2001. I am just about to close up the right aileron and noted on MAM's website a change from a 6 in. to a 12 in. spade to lighten forces. Although my instructions are for the 12 in. spade, my skin is only 6 in. My weight is also 6 in. (does this change for the 12 in?) My inclination is to continue stock and maybe change it later, am I making a mistake?

Don Boardman

aileron spade mod

Post by Don Boardman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:00 pm

My kit was shipped Dec 2001. I am just about to close up the right aileron and noted on MAM's website a change from a 6 in. to a 12 in. spade to lighten forces. Although my instructions are for the 12 in. spade, my skin is only 6 in. My weight is also 6 in. (does this change for the 12 in?) My inclination is to continue stock and maybe change it later, am I making a mistake?
Hi "Goody",

In talking with Brian at MAM he recommends the spade upgrade. Helps handling and stick forces if I recall. Our Ailerons where complete, but even so, the upgrade was a piece of cake. Both skin and Lead are 12".(more weight). We felt that it made sense to incorporate the improvement to the airplane.

Regards,
Don Boardman
& Partner
Randy Bowers
SR3500#130 "The Muskie" M-14PF Aerocet 3400 amphibs, Rome, NY