Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

Rebel Spring Gear Mod/Retrofit

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Richard E. Swan

Rebel Spring Gear Mod/Retrofit

Post by Richard E. Swan » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:08 pm

Gentlemen:

I've removed the bottom skins from my Rebel project, to clean up and in some cases replace a couple. The very good news is that corrosion was only on the skins - stringers/ribs and interior of the structure look good.

While I have it dismantled this far, I was contemplating going for the modification that some have done of changing out the crush tubes to solid blocks - figuring that now is as good a time as any, instead of waiting for possible (eventual? cracking).

I've noticed on one builder's site that performed a modification that it appears that two bolts, in a horizontal orientation, go through the front cross member (carry through) through the newly inserted aluminum block, through the bottom strut fitting, and through the rear cross tube (carry through).

My question is this: are the two bolts necessary? It looks as though if the crush tubes were almost good enough, wouldn't a solid block (with the saddle bolts running through them of course) be good enough (hopefully better)? On one hand I could see that the two bolts would help "tie" the entire structure together, but on the other that's more material to remove in a part that doesn't need less material. Further, trying to drill two holes all the way through these parts and remain square presents a huge problem since they are installed in the aircraft.

Any thoughts here will be greatly appreciated.

Richard
Rebel, #372R
Conway, Arkansas

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------