Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

SR tank vent

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Charlie Starr

SR tank vent

Post by Charlie Starr » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:35 am

Having completed my 25 hours of flight testing and having ironed out most all issues - I still have one problem to solve. My supplied (and installed) fuel caps are flush, screw-on type with no vents (looks like a marine type of filler and cap). Tank venting - by the manual - is accomplished by a common vent line (from both tanks) that runs from a fitting near the top-most part of each tank to a "J" vent line above the center of the fuselage. While this does vent both tanks, if tanks are filled to near maximum capacity, when the wing and fuel heats up, considerable amounts of fuel are forced out this vent pipe since it (the vent fitting in the tank) is slightly below the top of the tank and is covered by the fuel in a full tank - trapped air in the top of the tank (and the fuel in the tank) is heated, forcing the fuel out the vent. This would seem to be a design flaw and I'm sure others might have encountered the same problem.

My only seeming easy fix is to vent each tank cap with a "J" tube. I could just drill a vent hole in each flush cap, but this would allow moisture (rain) to enter the tank. Any other easy to accomplish suggestions?

Charlie Starr SR 065

-----------------------------------------------------------------
List archives located at: https://mail.dcsol.com/login
username "rebel" password "builder"
Unsubscribe: rebel-builders-unsubscribe@dcsol.com
List administrator: mike.davis@dcsol.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------