Do you want this big green box to go away? Well here's how...

Click here for full update

Wildcat! photo archives restored.

Click here for full update

Donors can now disable ads.

Click here for instructions

Add yourself to the user map.

Click here for instructions

spring gear inserts here

Converted from Wildcat! database. (read only)
Dan Morehouse

spring gear inserts here

Post by Dan Morehouse » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Well, I got my inserts made today. Wallet's a bit lighter. The machinest would have liked to have a piece of the carrythrough so he could round it right. Now I'm filing off the corners. Surprised I didn't think of that before. The square peg in the round hole bit. The inserts were absolutely square while the carrythrough has rounded corners of course.

I'm wondering if I need to -- or even can -- get a good fit by just filing. Seems I'm bound to have some irregularities stick out. Would it be better to just file off more than necessary, so there would be little or no contact in the corners? The four flat sides would hold it in place.

Take care,
Dan

Alister Yeoman

spring gear inserts here

Post by Alister Yeoman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:26 pm

Hi Dan,

Yes, it pays to have the radius of the corners of the inserts larger than the carry through ( by that I mean there will be a gap between the two).

This allows a little 'give' so the insert will fit snugly into the carrythough even if the tolerance is a little close. You may get a stress point if there was not clearance in the corners.

Cheers

Alister
-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Morehouse <DanMorehouse@home.com (DanMorehouse@home.com)>
To: murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com) <murphy-rebel@dcsol.com (murphy-rebel@dcsol.com)>
Date: Tuesday, October 12, 1999 5:26 PM
Subject: spring gear inserts here

Well, I got my inserts made today. Wallet's a bit lighter. The machinest would have liked to have a piece of the carrythrough so he could round it right. Now I'm filing off the corners. Surprised I didn't think of that before. The square peg in the round hole bit. The inserts were absolutely square while the carrythrough has rounded corners of course.

I'm wondering if I need to -- or even can -- get a good fit by just filing. Seems I'm bound to have some irregularities stick out. Would it be better to just file off more than necessary, so there would be little or no contact in the corners? The four flat sides would hold it in place.

Take care,
Dan